Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bladder diversion & urostomy surgery today

Bladder diversion & urostomy surgery today

The day has finally arrived...my bladder removal/diversion surgery is today at 8:30am EST. I'll have an urostomy when it's done. Strangely I'm excited but not really nervous. Hoping for a quicker hospital stay. My mom flew in from WI and she'll be staying in hospital with me to help take care of my service dog. I'll post later on how recovery is going. Could use prayers & good thoughts for pain management and speedy recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by sledgrl View Post
    The day has finally arrived...my bladder removal/diversion surgery is today at 8:30am EST. I'll have an urostomy when it's done. Strangely I'm excited but not really nervous. Hoping for a quicker hospital stay. My mom flew in from WI and she'll be staying in hospital with me to help take care of my service dog. I'll post later on how recovery is going. Could use prayers & good thoughts for pain management and speedy recovery!
    Best of luck for a smooth recovery!

Hope all goes well.

Blog Entries
    Praying for a speedy recovery.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

hope the surgery went well and the recovery is total also

Hope the surgery went well today. Give us an update when your able.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Hope all has gone well for you and a speedy recovery.

You will not regret it. It is the best thing I ever did.

Update

In hospital for 8 days after operation. Had "tap blocks" & pain pump for pain control. Took bowels a while to wake up so had to stay longer in hospital. Upon discharge I was out on 'low fiber' diet to let the bowel recover from surgery. Urostomy stoma was great.

Complication #1- back in ER, of hospital where surgery done, 3 days after discharge. Bowels had gone from runny/loose multiple times a day to nothing within 24 hours. Surgeon thought bowel obstruction. CT scans showed it was 'just constipation' but Miralax & Enemeez didn't help. ER supposed to do enema, but kept me waiting and NPO until a bed available on floor. As soon as I was up on floor nurses did enema and it worked! Discharged next day and told okay for normal diet.

Complication #2- woke up to leaky urostomy bag; while cleaning up, all the steri-strips fell off and 10" of the surgical incision opened up. Visiting nurse sent me to local ER who wet-dry packed it. While in ER, had excruciating back & flank pain so called surgeon's practice. Told to go to ER of the hospital where surgery done since my surgeon was there that day. Both docs (urologist & colo-rectal surgeon) met me in ER and got me admitted right away. X-Rays, CT scans and full spine MRI done along with dye test of ostomy. No disc issues found (that was initial thought); only some excess water on kidney found. Determined pain must be musculoskeletal so given stronger spasm & pain meds and see my pain doc next week. The surgical wound opening isn't deep but looks nasty.

Currently have visiting nurse 3x a week for wound dressing change. Follow up at wound center next week and there's talk of doing wound vac. Because the wound is so close to my stoma the ostomy bags tend to leak after 12 hours...nowhere near lasting 3-4 days like supposed to. My stoma tries to roll back/up also, creating issues. I can already tell that the urostomy is better than my suprapubic catheter, and am sure it'll be easier once the giant wound closes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So sorry you are having to go through all of this. Are your bowels back working as they should? Has the hydronephrosis of your kidney resolved? Did you have ureteral stents inserted as part of the surgery to keep the ureters draining while they heal properly where attached to the ileal diversion? Was an ostomy nurse consulted prior to the surgery for the ostomy placement? Are they following you now to help with appliance selection and attachment? If the ostomy nurse is a CWOCN, they should be able to help with your wound management too...in fact they may know more than a wound center about this type of wound.

(KLD)