Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toenail Fungus

Toenail Fungus

I've had toenail fungus for over a year now. I started taking Tribinfine but learned its very harmful for your liver. I've tried Vicks, Terbinifine ointment, acetone but nothing cured my toenail fungus.

Mais there anything that actually gets rid of toenail fungus?
    Never Give Up!

Good luck. I spent over a $1,000.00 on meds trying to get rid of it 15 or so years ago. Nothing worked. Once every few weeks I would whack away at my toenails with clippers and razor blades and sandpaper after a good soapy soak. One day about a year ago they gave up fighting me and returned to normal toenails.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    I've had toenail fungus for over a year now. I started taking Tribinfine but learned its very harmful for your liver. I've tried Vicks, Terbinifine ointment, acetone but nothing cured my toenail fungus.

Mais there anything that actually gets rid of toenail fungus?
    I acquired toenail fungus after a pedicure by a home-health type person after a spinal surgery back in 2007 (I don't know what you'd call her, but she was recommended by my home-health PT - she would come out to your house, help seniors trim their nails, etc). She apparently used contaminated tools. I have taken rx oral meds for it twice (helped short term, but it came back), I've tried the various nail polish-type treatments, etc. It's on every single toe and is disgusting. I can't ever go barefoot or wear sandals or open-toed shoes. I've even pulled out my big toenails, and the fungus comes back as the nail grows back (long story on why I pulled them out - I don't recommend doing it!)

Good luck and please post if you find a solution.

I just heard of a new medicine that is supposed to get rid of it without taking the medications by mouth but can't remember the name. I will try and find out. Have to not wear shoes and it is really hard to get rid of. The oral meds are required to get rid of it and use of cream .
    I recommend seeing a podiatrist.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I just heard of a new medicine that is supposed to get rid of it without taking the medications by mouth but can't remember the name. I will try and find out. Have to not wear shoes and it is really hard to get rid of. The oral meds are required to get rid of it and use of cream .
    I recommend seeing a podiatrist.
    CWO
    Thank you CWO! Please post the name of the new med. do you know if it's harmful to one's liver?
    Never Give Up!

I thought I saw it on commercial on TV also. Pharmacist off today. I will see if she knows on Tuesday.
    CWO

Could be Jublia, I've seen that advertised, I dunno if it works but what seemed to work for me was a OTC cream called Clotazole that I got from CVS. I used it for six weeks and my toes knock on wood seem to be ok now. I've been battling it for the past six years or so. The doc would always give me Econozole but that did not work, another doc gave me stuff called Fungifoam, that seem to make it worse, lol. I had it so bad the skin between my toes kept breaking down and then I'd get infections and have to go on antibiotics to get rid of that.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I had an ingrown toenail and the Dr. cut half the nail off. When it grew back, it had toenail fungus... The Dr said he could give me a prescription but they would have to monitor me because it could be dangerous for my liver. He recommended that I try Tea Tree Oil first. I bought a small bottle at Walgreen and put a couple drips on the base of my toenail every morning and again at night. At first it didn't seem like it was working but after a while as the new nail grew in, the bottom of my toe nail was normal and eventually the effected part of the nail got clipped off until the whole nail looked normal again. I think some people can be allergic to Tea Tree Oil though.

try tea tree oil. It worked great for me.

Note: it may take 3 to 6 months to clear up. Apply once every morning.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Oh so wish there was an easy answer to this one.
    I broke my big toe a few years ago falling out of my chair when it jammed into a city curb cut.
    ever since it seems like that toenail has had fungus and gone yellow.
    Tried every over the counter thing I could find, filed it like crazy but no luck.
    Been at war for at least 2 years with it.

Finally Doctor sent me to podiatrist to get the oral meds, but the podiatrist really didn't want me to take them and told me all these horror stories of how they are so hard on your liver and you have to have constant liver monitoring tests as he's so paranoid about hurting the liver. He apparently rarely prescribes the oral meds anymore!

So he gave me a prescription for clotrimazole liquid (generic for lotrimin 1%).
    Have to use it every day on the nail.
    Been using it now for 4 months, the nail no longer flakes and looks stronger and has fully grown out, but doesn't look like the rest of my healthy nails yet. It's looking like I may be doing this for a long time.

Willing to try any other ideas.