Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Question

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Kenda makes both the 1.75 and the 2.125 tires. They are off-road tires. The 1.75 is more a multi-terrain. The 2.125 is a knobby mud-terrain tire. The 2.125 will wear extremely fast if not using in grass, mud, etc. As far as the accrual numbers you see, you need to learn when they are show a US measurement 24" versus an metric 540. The 540 is actually millimeters. I am not the genius, but I have not found any tires or wheels that are actually US measurement. They sell as 24", but really are 540 mm. 24" <> 540 mm. This is why you cannot simply buy bicycle 24" tires and put on the rims.
    Like I said, I think moongazr's are 540 wheelchair wheels because of his tape measure and that the marking shown does not belong there.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The standard US measurement and metric differences all comes down to money. If wheelchairs actually used standard measurement, you would have such a huge selection to choose from The metric, allows the manufacturers to strictly limit your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    The standard US measurement and metric differences all comes down to money. If wheelchairs actually used standard measurement, you would have such a huge selection to choose from The metric, allows the manufacturers to strictly limit your choice.
    So why wouldn't "rogue" little company start making wheelchair wheels in standard sizes??? Wouldn't there be a tremendous first mover advantage for the company that did so?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So why wouldn't "rogue" little company start making wheelchair wheels in standard sizes??? Wouldn't there be a tremendous first mover advantage for the company that did so?
    I think I just googled the answer to this myself (with some help from NW-Will's post).

Apparently Spinergy is making a 700C wheelchair wheel and Round Betty carries one of their models in 700c... Sounds like one of those will be my next pair, though I notice that the low spoke count versions from both companies (LX and Dino respectively) are not yet offered in 700c.

Insurance becomes an issue as well and who pays for what.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    700 C is a 622 mm (Depending on your language and width 29" 28" or 27")

But it's a damn big rim and I like large rims. A wheelchair 26" coming in at 590mm (
    23.2283") a 622mm(24.4882")
    That is more than an extra inch and you're already pretty big.

The ride would be fine, but even when I ride 590's I notice how hard it is to maneuver in tight spaces, especially getting caught in tight toilets etc. the overhang/protrusion (what is the correct term?) of the back of the wheel behind the backrest etc.

Just saying.....

Bike wheels are easy if you just stick to Etrto/ISO sizing.

If you're replacing like for like it's easy too, it's just when you try and get funky putting wider tires on your existing rims.
    I've had no issue as long as I pay attention to the Etrto sizing.

The 25" 559 size is such a popular bike wheels size it gives by far the best selection of tires.

I'm running some Schwalbe Big Apple 60-559's on my 25x1" rims right now. In bike tire language they're called
    26 x 2.35, but they sit just fine on my 25" rims, which are 559mm.

I think I just googled the answer to this myself (with some help from NW-Will's post).

Apparently Spinergy is making a 700C wheelchair wheel and Round Betty carries one of their models in 700c... Sounds like one of those will be my next pair, though I notice that the low spoke count versions from both companies (LX and Dino respectively) are not yet offered in 700c.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    ...clip...I'm running some Schwalbe Big Apple 60-559's on my 25x1" rims right now. In bike tire language they're called
    26 x 2.35, but they sit just fine on my 25" rims, which are 559mm....clip...
    I've got big apples on my trike and love them. Will you post a close up picture of yours on your 1" rims? It would be great to see how they look. tia
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Like I said, I think moongazr's are 540 wheelchair wheels because of his tape measure and that the marking shown does not belong there.
    I think this is correct. The size marked on the rim tape is the size of the China made rubber rim tape/spoke guard only. It's not really marked on the wheel itself. You can take a 24" bicycle rim tape and stretch in to fit a wheelchair rim; I've done this myself for expedience. I really doubt that this is the actual rim size. These X-Cores are probably made for 1" - 1 3/8" tire width and a 24" "wheelchair only" tire size.