Thread: Need to hire care givers. Have Questions. Concerned about unpredictable bowels

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Need to hire care givers. Have Questions. Concerned about unpredictable bowels

I have a few questions. I am T2 para, sent home from SNF with a stage IV ischial ulcer with a wound vac. I am basically confined to bed for most of the day. Transferring is very difficult with the tape dressings in place/shearing, etc. I was using a commode chair, but that made the tape dressings tear off, so, now no more.

I have temp help via my son only until this weekend. I need to get some other care giver in here right away. My question is mostly about bowel management.

I would have liked to get my routine back after spending the last 3 months in and out of hospitals and nursing homes and just going in a "diaper", but am having issues with that. I don't have time right now to find a private person to come in and help me with this, don't even know how to start (where do I put an add in? I'm a singer woman who lives alone with no family...how can I be safe????)

I can only afford 4 hours two times a day, maybe a couple of more hours than that, mostly for help with cooking and cleaning and getting up and getting ready for bed. What about bowel care? If I am left to just do my business in a Depends, I have to sit in it until someone comes around again? Really, how does this work?

I have called agencies, and they are all reluctant to help me due to the bowel routine questions and the wound vac, only a nurse can do that through a licensed agency. I understand that if I hire someone to come in privately that they can do this for me, but again, finding the right 2 or 3 people for the job can take time.

For those of you who are experienced with this could give me suggestions, advice and tell me how you handle your own unpredictable bowels.

Much appreciated.

Have you checked out any state programs that may help through Medicaid. I'm in Arizona and get a caregiver 32 hours a week through the state. Your situation would warrant a CNA plus if you get them from an agency you know that they are bonded, which helps in feeling safe. They would also be able to help you set up a bowel program to help regulate it and help to avoid accidents. A wound care nurse would more than likely be assigned also. I don't know all of your situation but I hope this may help. I know it's a hard thing to do because I relied on family members for three years before I could make myself apply but it has worked out very well for me. I have had my present caregiver for four years now and I don't know what I'd do without her. Best of luck.

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    I'm on short term disability from my employer. I don't qualify for any state funded programs or fed funded programs. If I were poor and didn't work, I would. Just saying.

You can privately hire and not go through an agency to do the type of care you need. It may be a little tricky if you have no one to help you interview or screen people away from your home (for safety) before hiring, but see if you can find someone to help you with this aspect. In the greater LA area I was very successful in hiring for my mother's needs by running an ad on Craig's List. I usually had the ad on-line only 1 day, and got 10-15 definite contacts who were interested in that time period. Could you do that today and have your son help?

We paid $12-14/hour depending on experience. I had to teach all to do things like caths and bowel care, but it was not difficult.

(KLD)

I have had friend in other areas that have also contacted nurses and aides to do side work before and after their shifts. If paying cash, then you can usually work out a low cost solution. I have not tried this but have had many friend that were successful with this.

Exactly how?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    running an ad on Craig's List. I usually had the ad on-line only 1 day, and got 10-15 definite contacts who were interested in that time period. Could you do that today and have your son help?

(KLD)
    What specific category or section do do you list your ad under?

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    What specific category or section do do you list your ad under?

Health/Medical

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    wheeliegirl the BEST tape is mefix. It is a soft cloth(breathable tape that sticks better than anything on the market. I seldom had tape release issues with my wound years ago after my nurse turned me on to it. Still keep a roll around to use when patching wounds on my legs or feet. You should be able to use your commode chair without it tearing your wound vac patch off if it is put on correctly. I take it you are sling, if so, try putting powder on the seat surface to decrease friction. After changing the dressing, sit on it a while to seal it thoroughly, then try the commode chair. After you sit around with the bandage all day, it has a higher chance of having a raised tape edge where the bandage is starting to come off, better to try it earlier in the 'age' of the bandage. Good luck withfinding a caregiver and get back to enjoying life again!