Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sent home to deal with Stage IV ischial ulcer and wound vac. NEED HELP AND ADVICE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl View Post
    Sugarcube, how did you "make yourself" go? Did you digital stim from a side position? My shoulders are so messed up from sleeping on the low air loss mattress I can no longer reach behind me. They were already sore from the beginning from rotator cuff problems, but were made worse by sleeping on my sides. The mattress was so hard and had little give for my shoulders when it was set at the recommended setting for my weight and height.
    It’s odd, back then I had no problems laying on my sides. It was uncomfortable at times. That is when I would switch off to the other side. Now I can only sleep on one side or on my back. I have always used the same hand for dig-stim, and now for some reason the other hand won’t reach at all. I suppose I should have learned switch hands frequently over the years, but I never did.

Anyway to answer your questions, I can’t believe I am writing about this on a public forum, but to make myself go I would use both dig-stim and laxatives. I did lay on my left side. I was told that the intestines descend that way, so the laying on the left side helps to move things along a little better. I’m willing to try anything, lol.

For the most part, I would use Dulcolax with Senacot, because it seemed to work the quickest for me and gave good results all in one shot. The last thing I wanted was to have to clean up multiple times throughout the night. Sometimes, I would double up on the pills, which really helped a lot. It was a very messy process (and I mean very messy, because I was really cleaning myself out), but it was worth it because most of the time everything came out all at once with very little activity on my part near the area. I always made sure that I did my program on nights when there was a very good seal on the dressings, and would put tissue near the area as well to help to catch some of the excess debris, lol. I tried to do my program every three nights, but there would be many times I had no results at all. I just stuck to every three days, whether I had results or not. It probably wasn’t the best system in the world, but I never got any feces in my wounds and I healed up nicely.

Another thing that also seemed to help me, because I felt like I was sinking in the bed, was to put the mattress in “firm” mode during my bowel program. It made the mattress very hard and gave me better access to the area for cleanup etc. The “firm” mode is actually an emergency setting, in case there is an event like a heart attack or something similar and CPR needs to be administered while in the bed. This setting on my bed would only stay on for about 15 minutes or so, so I would have to keep a grabber nearby to push the button back on whenever I needed to. To this day, I have the motor to my bed hanging on the wall near the side of the bed, not on the footboard where I have no access to it.

The bed you have, if is a LOL mattress shouldn’t feel hard at all. At least I don’t think so. Mine doesn’t. I feel like I am in a cloud. It feels more soft than hard. Are you sure it was set correctly. It works best if you lay flat on the bed and have someone else work the settings for you.That is how mine was done. Maybe the design has changed. It has been 8 years since I got my bed.

So sorry to hear of this!!
    I can only address the hospital bed issue, not the sore as I'm Polio-paralyzed (have sensation), hubby is SCI. After my bad medical setback six years ago, my husband got 2 hospital beds for us. They take up most of the bedroom and we had to move some furniture into the living room.
    The beds allow us to do "gravity" transfers. I literally could not have transferred into our old queen-size bed after 5 months in 3 hospitals - lost all my transfer skills and now always use super slick transfer board.
    I understand some insurance companies will provide these beds as rentals. In fact, some may even let you have it after one year of rental. I think you will be satisfied with a hospital bed for maneuvering in bed, and also for transfers.
    In order to sit up I raise the head of the bed a bit, then grab a nice long sturdy rope (got it in a store for horse equipment), which is tied to the foot of the bed. I also place the other end at the upper side rail and secure it with twist ties, so there's no chance the rope will slip off the bed away from me.
    I have a quad friend who raises the head of the bed in order to turn over.
    Very best to you during your recovery!

Most hospital beds go high enough for gravity transfer from bed to chair. May do not go low enough for gravity transfer from from chair to bed. We use TransferMaster and they go down almost to 18". Some hospital beds like those used in nursing homes go way lower and are used for patients presenting potential for falling out of bed. These go almost to floor and might be helpful especially if you have a specialized mattress adding height

Good luck in coping with a medical system which has IMHO committed malpractice by early discharge and failure to provide for needed home services. Hang tough.

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    Thanks everyone. You all had great ideas. Im putting some in place. Getting a set of rolling shelves to keep supplies at my bedside and have somewhat successfully had a BM in bed on a chux and got myself clea ed up. My only worry is making the tape dressings come loose from the baby wipes. Boy, did i use a lot of baby wipes!!!

Care giver is coming for a few hours today to get acquainted and my son will show them where everything is. Feeling a little better. Zanex is helping too. I was a bucket of tears every day over this whole thing. I resisted taking them.

Hang in there!

Can only go up from where you're at! Get into a series of books or tv programs or something to get your mind off of your current situation.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hopefully your son can stay till you get things to where you feel comfortable with the caregivers.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009