Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asterias Biotherapeutics' Stem Cell Program Is Dead On Arrival

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Asterias story will unfold as trial progresses. Doubt they release any date early though.
    Ok.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Asterias tends to put out news releases on Mondays
    Last edited by c473s; 06-05-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Asterias story will unfold as trial progresses. Doubt they release any data early though.
    You're right. In this video, Dr. Os Steward (Director of Reeve Irvine Research Center) explains the new Asterias clinical trial at the 2015 Spine Trauma Summit in Seattle to clinicians. Os explains that the dosage these first 5 acute patients got (2 million cells) was nearly equal to what the experimental rats get (1-1/2 million) due to the FDA concerns of safety. There's a sizable difference between the rat cord and humans. Knowing that, I don't know how anyone could have already deemed the cell safety trial a failure yet.

LINK
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-02-2015 at 02:28 PM.

It is good to check news on Mondays
    Last edited by c473s; 06-08-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    You're right. In this video, Dr. Os Steward (Director of Reeve Irvine Research Center) explains the new Asterias clinical trial at the 2015 Spine Trauma Summit in Seattle to clinicians. Os explains that the dosage these first 5 acute patients got (2 million cells) was nearly equal to what the experimental rats get (1-1/2 million) due to the FDA concerns of safety. There's a sizable difference between the rat cord and humans. Knowing that, I don't know how anyone could have already deemed the cell safety trial a failure yet.

LINK
    Thanks for posting the link of the video, I think it really worth watching.
    I would pay particular attention at minute 19 when it is pointed out the weak rational of the trial. Then also to the take home points at the end.

Hope I don't look negative, I am just pointing out what people should expect from this trial according a well known researcher.

Hope that is ok

Paolo

Interesting that CIRM was the source of the 14 million dollar grant to continue this study. Dr. Oz sits on that board. Maybe you have insight into that ? I am confused by your interpretation of the video in light of the funding grant.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Thanks for posting the link of the video, I think it really worth watching.
    I would pay particular attention at minute 19 when it is pointed out the weak rational of the trial. Then also to the take home points at the end.

Hope I don't look negative, I am just pointing out what people should expect from this trial according a well known researcher.

Hope that is ok

Paolo

Interesting that CIRM was the source of the 14 million dollar grant to continue this study. Dr. Oz sits on that board. Maybe you have insight into that ? I am confused by your interpretation of the video in light of the funding grant.
    I am confused too, what has been said in the video is very clear and seem to be in part congruent with the points made by Alexey Bersenev so maybe there is something missing in the picture here.. if you or someone else can clear better the situation would be good I think.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I am confused too... if you or someone else can clear better the situation would be good I think.
    Paolo
    Nobody has a crystal ball, so one cannot tell the future with any certainty so a lot more will be learned when the trial has finished up. I think the participants are being told that just fine. They're testing the safety of the cells. It's obvious there won't be any therapies for any stage of SCI if 100% consensus is required. There never has been and won't be. The point made by Bersenev is not congruent with what Steward explained.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-10-2015 at 12:18 AM.