Thread: Looking for advice for hip flexor exercise

Looking for advice for hip flexor exercise

Hello all!

I am a T7 para 6yrs next month and I had hip surgery last summer in July. I had a labral tear in my left hip that was the reason for the surgery. Although I recovered well from the surgery I have been experiencing some really bad muscle tightness around my hip joint. I stand at least 30 minutes a day in my standing frame and I do some stretching exercises but nothing seems to work. Every day I live with a pretty bad muscle spasm is where my legs do the superman thing and it's just very difficult. To counter balance I've been upping my baclofen to 100mg per day and still nothing.
    Im just stiff everyday and no standing or stretching is helping.
    Anyone have advice? Thank you!

Hello Drew, I'm T-7-8 para 9 years post. It's possible your muscles are still adapting to the surgery which can contribute to stronger spasms. Any irritation below your spinal cord injury can send false nerve impulses.

Though I have spasticity in both legs, I continue to have a higher amount in my left. While I take 80 mg of baclofen daily; it's been suggested and prescribed by my neurologist to include zanaflex in my daily medicine intake and it has helped.

Stretching provides a tremendous amount of relief for me especially at night.

thank you very much for your advice I have been doing as much stretching as I can to help alleviate the stiff muscles. Sometimes it works for an hour or two hours sometimes it works for less than that. Thank you very much for your advice I have been doing as much stretching as I can to help alleviate the stiff muscles. Sometimes it works for an hour or two hours sometimes it works for less than that that's why it's been so frustrating.

Thanks again for the advice!