Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daughter C7 quad has rapid pulse

Daughter C7 quad has rapid pulse

I am not my daughters full time care giver, though I occasionally help her out when she allows me to. For the last two days she's had a very rapid pulse and elevated heart rate - she asked me to feel for it today as she said she was feeling sick and dizzy. She has no other symptoms besides that. She just had a urine analysis last week and they found no evidence of a UTI at the moment so I know it's not that. I checked her over for any kind of infected lesions (decubitus ulcers) and found none.

I'm wondering what it could be? I understand the possibility of AD but I know there has to be a trigger for that like a UTI or infection?

Do you think this warrants her going to the ER to get checked out? Her family doctor is not very thorough and is always taking vacations unfortunately.

Absolutely go to ER now, should have gone yesterday.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

She says she doesn't want to go. She's laying down on the couch right now on her iPad telling me she's not feeling as dizzy if she rests her head flat. She says if she were to sit in an upright position in her wheelchair (she uses a manual) she starts feeling her left eye going blurry and the room spinning.

I can't force her to go (she's 25) but told her to stay over night with us so we can keep an eye on her.
    Last edited by Elaine1965; 05-21-2015 at 09:17 PM.

I am not a doctor or a nurse. But I have had many bouts of atrial fibrilation and can tell you if that is what she has, blood can pool in the left atrial addendum due to improper circulation. That pooling will clot if not taken care of which *will* lead to a stroke. Google it. If her racing heart is due to another cause it still should be looked at and treated. Can you at least call a consulting nurse with all of her symptoms? We have that option in my health care system.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine1965 View Post
    ...clip... she starts feeling her left eye going blurry and the room spinning.

...clip...
    If I told the 911 operator that, the Medic response team would be here within 5 minutes and they would carry her out on a stretcher on the city's dime.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I am not a doctor or a nurse. But I have had many bouts of atrial fibrilation and can tell you if that is what she has, blood can pool in the left atrial addendum due to improper circulation. That pooling will clot if not taken care of which *will* lead to a stroke. Google it. If her racing heart is due to another cause it still should be looked at and treated. Can you at least call a consulting nurse with all of her symptoms? We have that option in my health care system.
    I can't thank you enough for telling me this. I had no idea - she has only had her SCI for three years and I'm not clear or used to everything going on with her body and neither is she.
    I just told her what I found out and she says she wants to go right away. My husband can take her right now and the hospitals only 10-15 minutes from our house.

I hope she's alright, God I hope she doesn't have that.

How high is her heart rate? Does she have a fever?

Can you check her blood pressure? When the blood pressure is low, the heart rate becomes high to compensate. You also feel dizzy when you sit up, but better when you, lie down.

Make sure she drinks and drinks in case she is dehydrated. If she has a fever, also drink and take Tylenol. You can also just call her doctor's office for advice. They usually have a doctor or nurse to take calls in case of an emergency.

I did not get an exact number of her pulse and I have no way of taking her blood pressure but they will do this at the hospital. She should be there already. I told her to call me and to tell me what they say. She does not have a fever (temperature was normal)

I never thought of this.. But she is on her time of the month right now. I am not sure if this has any significance at all to what's going on.

Elaine,
    So glad your daughter went to the hospital. It will be good to have a diagnosis, possibly a treatment, and get the problem taken care of.

Huge thanks to NoNoise for noticing that it could be particularly serious (and out of our original things that we think about). I am glad she is getting it taken care of at the hospital.

Please keep us updated.
    Mystery

Sorry to hear about your daughter! Just a comment - my husband and I are both paralyzed and keep both a wrist-type blood pressure device, and a pulse oximeter handy and have used them many times over the years. With my lung issues, the small pulse oximeter is really helpful as it measures your oxygen and also your pulse. If my oxygen level gets into the 80's I stop and rest for a while. It's usually in the lower 90's, while my husband (SCI) reads at 98. (I've checked about 7 relatives with no disability and their readings were 98 or 99). The cost of a pulse oximeter is anywhere from about $45 to over $100, mine was about $45 from Amazon.
    I'm only mentioning this as I feel that lung health is often overlooked with disability. When one is sitting in a wheelchair, sometimes slumped posture, one wonders how the lungs are functioning. In my case it's due to Polio - diaphragm weakness over the years, in spite of years of road racing and exercise.
    Wondering if your daughter is involved in physical exercise, and glad you got her to the hospital for help!