Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can 24" pushrims fit on 25" wheels?

Katja I just bought a pair about an hour ago. I did get the outdoor ones, I think they call them the "Pro" or something. I watched the video they have at the company website showing how to mount them. Maybe they will break in and become easier. In the video they make it look easy but maybe there's somebody (I can't imagine who) who thinks mounting Marathon's is easy.

I got the parts to mount my 24" rims onto my 25" wheels. I am using spacers. I will try and do that tomorrow. These rims are powder coated and give me a much better grip. My idea for the Fit Grips which I bought because you taught me about them, my idea is to maybe put them on for rainy days and take them off otherwise. I say that because I have had two pairs of NaturalFit rims, the regular and narrower ones and both hurt me terribly trying to open my hands that wide. Nothing against the product, they are very well made. We are just all different. Anyway, I am a little concerned about the wider grip I may need with the Fit Grips so I figure using them part time is one idea. Won't know until I try them. Maybe they will feel more comfortable than I expect. In any event, they don't seem like the best for going downhills and lots of those around me so bare rims some times might be right. As usual, figuring it out as I go.

Thank you for telling me about them and everyone else, thank you for all your ideas. I bought the Fit Grips and I am using the suggestion of spacers to mount my other rims. Lots of great support here are CC :-)

Just finished mounting the 24's on to the 25" wheels. I am beat. Things sure are easier when you know what you are doing. I can only suppose that because I, do not know what I am doing. Yep they're on but I ordered screws that are a little too short. Another 1/16 or 1/8" longer would make it. For now though I have nylock nuts on, the threads aren't reaching in to the nylon. But I am way too beat to do anything about it right now. That was bloody hard. Hopefully I will get the energy back to order some longer screws and, oh geez, take the wheels completely apart again, oh geez, and put it all back together right. I just hope they are on well enough to hold until then. I don't know how strongly they need to be mounted but I am guessing at least the full length of the screw in to the nut!

I'll find out tomorrow how they grip and if they come off when if I blink. I am proud of myself even if I didn't do it right. I took the plunge and did the best I could. I'll always be proud when I do that. I am beat.

**update:

Just ordered longer spacers and longer screws. I am not good with measurements so I hope got this one right at least because I have now spent about $75 in parts. I would moan but, I couldn't find the rims I wanted in 25" and I really like these 24's so even if it costs me about the same as a set of proper fit rims, it will be alright. I'm getting what I want and I had these rims sitting around anyway.
    Last edited by grommet; 10-04-2015 at 01:58 PM.

I hope you got 'em tight enough Grommet and don't have to do more. This method is the best if it works because you maintain the rim you like and you maintain the same offset from the tire. I fully understand not wanting to do it over again. My Q2 has Natural Fits with the thumb rims. I've taken the thumb rims off two others because I hate them, but doing so involves stripping the marathons off spinergy's for a chair I use maybe once a week. Maybe I should just use my roto zip and snippers and cut them off. I doubt any one would want them.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Those thumb strips are aluminum, might be hard to get them off by cutting but if it's the harder way then I am sure I would choose it ;-)

New parts are coming from McMaster Carr, longer screws and spacers. The new screws, unless I screwed up again, should be long enough and with the longer spacers I should be able to have the tabs running straight out instead of a little bent like now. The last set of pushrims, the ones that came with the Spinergy Spox, had a very wide spacing. I've never had so much room before. I think with the proper spacers the rims I am mounting now should bring me back to what I am used to. Man it was really hard work this morning. I had to take the wheels completely apart. Taking the tires, tubes and rim liners off was hard but then I had to remove the pushrims from a set of old wheels - 12 attachment points total, remove the same number my current wheels and of course put everything back. Then I find out that my brain doing it's best still comes up short as, my screws and spacers were too short. Eek. But non-mechanical hard workers like me have to slog it out that way. Still even if I get a lot wrong and do a lot of extra work it does give me the pay off of doing it when I choose and at home. Worth it.

Trying not to think about taking everything apart again to replace the parts but I will get it done. Just jump in like a cold shower and get it over with. I ain't too smart but it seems I make up for it with willing to keep doing things over until I get them right or, at least somehow working. Well here's hoping my screws that I measure at 1/8 too short, will hold well enough to keep me mobile until I do the replacing. By the way, I got black anodized aluminum spacers and they blend in really well, pretty much disappear.

I can finally grip again! So happy. I haven't gotten my second order of parts yet to redo my mounting so everything measures just right but I have been running the wheels now with the 24" rims and oh, what joy, to be able to grip again. I don't really notice a difference between the sizes. I'll try to measure the rims again and see how much difference there is but if I remember from when I did measure them, it actually wasn't that much. No regular rim is going to do well in the rain but I got my shipping notice this morning that my Fit Grip's are on the way. Progress a little at a time but yesterday I did my laundry and I had no trouble pushing the chair bare-handed. With the old rims my hands would slide all over and I had to use gloves and only one kind of glove I have with a plasticky palm, all the leather gloves couldn't get a grip.

Can't believe how much I've spent on screws, nuts and spacers, geez. But two separate orders mean extra shipping. As a strategy I am thinking that the next time I order parts and I'm not sure of the size to save money I should order two sizes at the time. Then again I hope I don't have to do something like this again for a while.

Glad to hear about your happy situation!

My Fit Grips just went on their first plane trip - not a scratch. I like this. It beats having to file down burrs on the hand rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Glad to hear about your happy situation!

My Fit Grips just went on their first plane trip - not a scratch. I like this. It beats having to file down burrs on the hand rims.
    I hope your trip went well. I still haven't flown with a chair. Thank you for the info on how the Fit Grips did with traveling. According to my tracking number I should have mine some time this week. I'll remember what you said about getting them on the first time. For me it will be finding out how the work with my hands, like I said about the NaturalFit's, they spread my hands too wide. I am curious about the Fit Grips. My big plan for them is for the rainy season. It would be amazing to have grip in the rain. In 20 years I've never had that. If they work for me in the wet then I think I have all the kit I need for the storms. A few years ago my girlfriend got me a great waterproof coat, I've already got some rain pants and I always wear a reflective vest.

Nonoise, are the natural fits you need to remove on a 24 or 25 wheel?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.