Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can 24" pushrims fit on 25" wheels?

Can 24" pushrims fit on 25" wheels?

I don't like the pushrims on my 25" wheels, too slippery for me. I was wondering about taking the pushrims from some of my 24" wheels and installing them. Does anyone know if it's possible? I know when I was using NaturalFit handrims (which I don't use anymore), the tabs would bend so you could fit them. I was thinking it might be possible to do that with my pushrims made for my 24's. Ideas?

It depends on the design of the pushrims and the wheels. You might be able to bend the tabs or fit spacers.

You'll have a larger gap than usual between the tyre surface that touches the floor and the rim itself, but that'll be personal preference as to whether you'll like it.

Very interesting points I hadn't thought about. Thanks. Now I'm thinking of working harder to find replacement pushrims for the 25's. Looking around I had trouble finding them. The ones I had on my 24's was perfect but I've swapped parts around so much I don't remember which wheels they came with originally. The ones I have now on the 25's are brushed aluminum and too slippery, can't use them without gloves.

The tabs bend easy enough. But do some testing, the tabs might not be long enough.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Yeah, I'm getting that this might not be such a good idea. The thing is, my last pushrims worked great for me and I don't know how to replace them. I've looked online and I don't know how to match what I've got. The surface on some Quickie wheels was pretty good, it seemed like it had a clearcoat or something like that on them. Enough friction to push but still slide through the hands. I don't know how people use these brushed aluminum rims, so slippery.

What about using some spray on rubber to improve the grip? I put that into Google and got a whole bunch of results (with a lot of different reviews). I also spotted some spray on plastic dip that claims it is supposed to cut down on how slick something is.

I've never used any of these, so your guess is as good as mine for what's good / bad. If you do use it, I would suggest starting with a set of rims that you don't care about in case it doesn't work.

I would suggest eBay for 25" push rims, at least to look for cheaper prices.

You might want to check out push rim covers as another option.

Thanks for the help guys. I want metal pushrims like I've been using, I don't want any rubber on them. I live in a hilly area and I worry about burning. Then again, I haven't tried those kind of rims. I have plenty of experience with PlastiDip. It's great for lots of things. I even have a couple cans of the spray on kind. Even with my experience I don't know how I'd be able to use it on pushrims. For one, it takes a few coats and each needs to cure and to really cure, it takes days. I don't see how I'd get it on evenly unless I did very thin spray on coats and then the project is just too big.

I don't like slipping around with the rims I have but it's not bad enough to do all the work to coat some rims myself. I have to figure out if I will live with what I've got or figure out some way to find out what the rims that work for me are called and who makes them (and who sells them). My other option is to try buying blind based on what I think a set is but that could be expensive and wasteful if it turns out I have to try several.

It's funny how the small difference between finishes makes such a big difference. The glove I was using gripped my old rims fine and I liked the gloves. Now I have to use different gloves, ones that would always slip on the old ones but work on the new ones. Some rims have a better grip when wet and others the opposite. I wish anodized meant the same every time because I swear I have several sets that all say they are anodized and yet feel different.

Brushed aluminum, seems the best way to make rims the most slippery and I don't know who wants that but, we all like different set-ups and I have to respect that.

If your push rims mount to the inside of the wheel, then it would seem to me you could just use some spacers and longer bolts/screws to connect them to the wheel.
    C-6/7 incomplete

I think you're right. I've got some nylon spacers that I think would work. Now I just have to find the day to try it all. I think the first thing to do is measure from tab-to-tab on each set and see what the difference is. Thanks :-)