Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new device for pain management Approved by the FDA today

new device for pain management Approved by the FDA today

"That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Great. I'm supposed get the trial implants for the spinal cord stimulator in a couple weeks and I read in this article that paresthesia is a common problem with them. They really don't mention that part when they're pitching the idea to you.

I already have severe paresthesia along with the pain; That's what the damned stimulator is supposed to help with. I got talked into trying it instead of the DREZ procedure but I should have known if it actually helped a lot of people it'd be highly recommended in the pain threads here. I'm going ahead with the trial but what little hope I had is now replaced with a slight sense of despair about worsening the pain or spreading it to other areas.

Back to reality.
    No human society, present or past, has lacked music. Music is therefore one of the very few human universals, which puts it on the same level as food and sex.
    Fredric Lieberman

seems to be lie a scs with a lower freq, and no parenthis effect which means it musdt be for low level pain, i had two scs , the second one a 8 paddle laminactomy implanted one, not a wire, it didnt work, it didmt work on the or table and they always implant anyway
    if it replaced my pain with paresthesia , i would have been singing its praises. i have som one hack-sawing off my toes, severe electrocutions insane pain,

another r issue i see with this device , is it considers it a success if it reduces pain by 50%, yet it takes 3 months to a year to get the pain relieved, but the trial period is for a week, so they will be implanting them in everybody, telling the patients it gets better pain relief the longer it is in.
    cauda equina

I get the same electrical pulse, burning and paresthesia in my foot. On good days it's an annoyance. On bad days it's almost unbearable and radiates up my leg to my lower back. The neurosurgeon said that since the pain is usually located in one area that the scs should help. I read about the people on here with this pain all over and don't think I could do it.

Had the MRI done yesterday and the CT is Monday. In a couple weeks I have to drive 3 hours for pre-op tests, stay in a hotel, then stay in the hospital for 3-4 days for the procedure and trial. Just thinking all of this is probably a huge waste of time gets me down but the neurosurgeon is donating their time and the device was donated by St. Jude's. I'll go through with the trial but with little to no expectations of pain relief.
    No human society, present or past, has lacked music. Music is therefore one of the very few human universals, which puts it on the same level as food and sex.
    Fredric Lieberman

About a year ago I had a trial of the standard spinal cord stimulator for my neuro pain. It was not successful. Another doctor wants me to try the new one, probably sometime this summer. I'm not optimistic - but I am desperate.
    Last edited by StarLord; 06-03-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
    About a year ago I had a trial of the standard spinal cord stimulator for my neuro pain. It was not successful. Another doctor wants me to try the new one, probably sometime this summer. I'm not optimistic - but I am desperate.
    That's the only reason I'm going through with this trial. If it doesn't work then we'll look at DREZ or radio frequency nerve lesioning.
    Fredric Lieberman

Just got home a few hours ago from doing the trial. I got 0 relief and only felt a slight buzzing in my lower back and sometimes my abdomen. This led my neurosurgeon to reverse their opinion about trying DREZ.

I did get to experience intubation while awake though. I woke up as they were taking turns trying to get the breathing tube in me. I was scared shitless but thankfully the meds kicked in before they started cutting. It was strange trying to make my arm move to signal them and nothing happen and then having my air cut off for a few seconds again off and on for what seemed like a horrible 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure they split a rib on the OR table too, it's hurt worse than anything else since then. Ain't SCI grand?
    Fredric Lieberman

Out of curiosity - did you try the standard spinal cord stimulator or did you try the newer (Nevro) stimulator?

It is the paresthesia that blocks the pain. I had trial, but silent or only burning at 9V! However, TENS on skin worked, but profuse sweating and developed allergy.

Now what happens when the rock bottom software decides to burn you at constant 9V?

If the TENS burns you at 90V you can turn it off or pull the leads off.

With an implated device you need to find big magent and hope that it turns off!
    Last edited by zagam; 02-28-2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: corrupted input

Anyone else try this out?

I'm meeting with a new neurosurgeon tomorrow to see if he'll consider it. I've read of only one other first hand experience, same injury as me (arm paralysis due to nerve root avulsions at spinal cord - brachial plexus injury). The implant receiver posted on a facebook page dealing with our injury. He amputated his arm a few years back and has tried 2 SCS implants previously with no success. The Nervo gives him 85-90% relief, which is out of the ballpark as far as I'm concerned, at least best I've ever heard of for this type of injury. He went through the 2 week trial and had the fulltime device implanted a few weeks ago. Still good as far as he reports...

If I go through with it, I'll post my results here...
    otherwise DREZ days approach.

Thanks

NERVO = SENZA same company

www.nevro.com
    CLINICAL EVIDENCE

STUDIES
    Last edited by cljanney; 08-09-2016 at 04:38 PM.