Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Worried about my daughter

Has she been active in any wheelchair prominent sports? Hobbies? Interests?

Can you try to get your daughter to join our community here? Get involved in local disability support groups such as United Spinal Association?

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If she isn't interested in sci support groups how about a peer mentor? Someone with the same or similar disability doing a one on one visit and talk to her. I am a T-10 para post 20 years and have over 1,000 peer mentoring hours. One on one support seems to help with some people. Especially when they see someone with the same disability. Who's over come and adapted to life in the chair?

I was 22 when I was injured and things were really dark for me for years in the beginning. Psychiatric intervention was one of my worst experiences and some of the shit after that set my progress back for years. For me the psychiatric interventions frustrated the hell out of me because the restricted even further what I was capable of doing by myself. They made me feel even more useless by rendering me less independent by cutting my food when the deemed I need to use plastic silverware to eat with because it wasn't "safe" to let me use metal silverware. When I would try to press down on something with the damned plastic forks they broke. So staff made me feel like a baby all over again by cutting my food. The did not have an accessible shower/bathing setup. So I was the only one on the ward that did not get to bathe. I lied through my teeth to get out of there and got home in worse shape than I was when I went in. I wound up on an anti depressant that seemed to be working. Then every time a new, cheaper generic came out that's what I got. Well, the new cheaper generics did not work as effectively and I would start to crash so they would have to do a blood level and raise my dosage until the next new, cheaper generic came out. I finally got fed up with it one day and spend 3 days curled up on my bed in a ball going through withdrawal. I haven't touched an antidepressant since. The other thing that happened after that was my brain began to work better without the medicated effects. I wound up with piles of little projects all over the place I tried out looking for something to do. Years down the road my life is so different now. Most of the time I am fairly contented now. I live independently with assistance for a HHA a meal program. Having a pet helped me out a lot. My first cat came from a rescue and she picked me out. We bonded in less than a minute.

Sports have really rescued many with sci. But they aren't for everyone. How active was she before her injury? What did she like to do before. One person's outlook in his life post injury is "learning to do what I did before in a new way". From a young man, a country boy, who hunted and fished. The picture his friends took of the turkey he bagged this year, that they hung on the back of his chair was incredible. There are several people on youtube who do videos about the way they do things now. She may find watching some of them entertaining and they may inspire her to try something. Or give her a laugh.