Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urine smells like sewage and SP stoma smells bad as well

Urine smells like sewage and SP stoma smells bad as well

I have a suprapubic catheter and my urine smells horrible, I can smell it through my leg bag, it's making my clothes, bed and myself smell. Also where the catheter comes out (stoma) smells bad too. My urine isn't really dark either and it's pretty clear.

Are there any over the counter remedies i can do to prevent this?

It seems like the only time the smells go away, is when I'm on antibiotics for UTI, urologist will not prescribe anything unless i have a fever.

First, I would find a new urologist. After 35 years post injury, I have had a few urinary tract infections that caused such severe autonomia that I have had to take medication to reduce my blood pressure, but I've only had a fever once with a urinary tract infection. Treatment of a urinary tract infection in people with neurogenic bladders is more complex than it is in the general population. Antibiotics are often prescribed when the bacteria count is lower and for longer than in the general population. A good protocol is test urine by urinalysis (UA) and Culture & Sensitivity (C&S), treat infection with the most effective antibiotic for 12-14 days, 2-3 days after finishing the antibiotics, get another UA and C&S to determine if the infection is completely gone. If not, treat again and follow the above regimen.

That said, you may want to try HydroCleanse. There has been much written about it on this forum. I suggest that you read the first post in this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn

Then read this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=hydrocleanse

Many of us use HydroCleanse to help prevent urinary tract infections.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    First, I would find a new urologist. After 35 years post injury, I have had a few urinary tract infections that caused such severe autonomia that I have had to take medication to reduce my blood pressure, but I've only had a fever once with a urinary tract infection. Treatment of a urinary tract infection in people with neurogenic bladders is more complex than it is in the general population. Antibiotics are often prescribed when the bacteria count is lower and for longer than in the general population. A good protocol is test urine by urinalysis (UA) and Culture & Sensitivity (C&S), treat infection with the most effective antibiotic for 12-14 days, 2-3 days after finishing the antibiotics, get another UA and C&S to determine if the infection is completely gone. If not, treat again and follow the above regimen.

That said, you may want to try HydroCleanse. There has been much written about it on this forum. I suggest that you read the first post in this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn

Then read this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=hydrocleanse

Many of us use HydroCleanse to help prevent urinary tract infections.

All the best,
    GJ
    Doesn't having the suprapubic cath mean that I'll pretty much always have a UTI?

Should I speak with my urologist about treating this then? I've even done the shots before, and the smell came right back.

Quote Originally Posted by yiannit View Post
    Doesn't having the suprapubic cath mean that I'll pretty much always have a UTI? Your urine will likely be colonized with bacteria, but you should not always have a urinary tract infection.

Should I speak with my urologist about treating this then? I've even done the shots before, and the smell came right back. I would talk with my urologist if I was experiencing what you describe. What shots are you talking about?
    All the best,
    GJ

As gj has said you will be colonized but not have symptoms. If you are having symptoms then you need to be treated. Foul smelling urine is a symptom regardless of what your urologist says unless your diet has changed or you have had any food that causes foul smelling urine. Also be sure to drink alot as well as being dehydrated will also cause urine to smell bad.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I forget what they were called, but they were to treat a bad UTI. I had to go in for 3 sessions. One in thigh, ass and arm

How often is your catheter changed?
    yes talk to your urologist
    your urine may have high acidity that is causing odor that can be easily checked with a UA
    if you gave frequent infections you may consider methenamine which make the urine more alkalinic and prevent UTI

pbr

I had the same thing going on for over a year. Unless I was on an antibiotic, my urine and leg bag smelled awful. I started taking D-Mannose. No infections or odor in 5 months since.

Quote Originally Posted by cjo View Post
    I had the same thing going on for over a year. Unless I was on an antibiotic, my urine and leg bag smelled awful. I started taking D-Mannose. No infections or odor in 5 months since.
    ughh I'm in the same freakin boat, where did you get the d-mannose from? I wanna try it...
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    ughh I'm in the same freakin boat, where did you get the d-mannose from? I wanna try it...
    d-Mannose is only effective against e. coli bacteria caused bladder infections. That said, d-Manoose is available at health food stores, drug stores, maybe even some supermarkets, and of course many on line (Amazon, etc) stores.