Thread: Epidural Stim Implementation time too long!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Epidural Stim Implementation time too long!!!

Since the first person was transplanted with a Epidural Stimulator it has now been 5 years. From all they say the results can be pretty immediate, so that's five year's they have known it can help so many people even in a non complicated form using a low channel stimulator. This is rather disturbing to me as I sure would like to work towards some goals toward recovery even after 34 years of T4 SCI perhaps even pushing a little more on my FES bike when I work out, a little sensation towards sexual function or improved bowel and bladder activity, even if small gains. I know, FDA regs, lawsuits blah, blah, blah. Even if there were a legal form to sign holding them not accountable for any possible bad side effects, I'd sign it. Heck they could charge big bucks and I'm sure there would fund raisers to get those who could not afford to have it done get it. Even if it had to be done in another country like Mexico or whatever, there's gotta be a way. I want these gains now, even if small before I get too much older and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same. Epidural Stimulation for pain has been around a long time https://www.medtronic.com/patients/c...rs/what-is-it/ The risks are low, it can be removed at anytime, not that big a deal. I just don't see what the hang up is? I know red tape, blah, blah, blah. A lot of people could be improving from it NOW including people with reduced hand function from all I've read, why are so many things kept away from us? to me it's just not right and down right mean showing all these gains and good things happening in a select few and keeping it out of the mainstream from people who could really benefit from these things.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 05-18-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred