Thread: Superapubic catheter problems

Superapubic catheter problems

Hi all
    I am c6 quadripledic 12 years post injury. One and a half month ago I came on superapubic catheter. It went well for seven weeks with out any leakage. Previous week I changed the cathater with silicon catheter of 16 size. Things didn't go well after that. First problem was leakage and I had to carry two leg bags one for superapubic and the other for external catheter. I also had severe temperature which is now ok after using antibiotics. But problem of leakage is still there and have to carry two bags.
    Please tell me what should I do to prevent leakage and come on one bag for superapubic catheter only. If I change the cathater from 16 to 18 then will it help. Or what should I do for solving the problem.
    Thanks

It sounds as though bladder spasms may be causing the leakage. It helps to take an anticholinergic medication (anti spasm) like oxybutynin to help stop the spasm, and thus the leakage.

Did your doctor place a silicone catheter when he did the surgery? Maybe the brand of silicone catheter you used when you changed is too stiff and possibly the tip of the catheter is irritating the bladder and causing spasms. It is also possible that the infection you had is not completely gone. You may need to get another culture and sensitivity urine test to make sure the infection is gone. You may need another round of antibiotics or a different one. I would eliminate possible continued urinary tract infection and get on a low dose of an anticholinergic medication before I would change the size of the catheter.

All the best,
    GJ

18gauge!? That's tiny. I use a 22 or 24. I've had mine for 10 years and mine gets plugged up after two weeks but then the water in Arizona is really hard.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Agree with comments above. follow up with your urologist and the nurse in the office. some problem solving may be in order to determine if it is bladder spasms, infection, which you were already treated for, type of catheter or size of catheter or even how it is placed and how the balloon is inflated. leaking from the urethra occurs post s/p catheter placement occasionally.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    18gauge!? That's tiny. I use a 22 or 24. I've had mine for 10 years and mine gets plugged up after two weeks but then the water in Arizona is really hard.
    My urologist placed a 16Fr catheter, and I have had a 16 Fr for 5 years. It doesn't leak and it doesn't get clogged.

All the best,
    GJ

^^^^^^Exactly the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Agree with comments above. follow up with your urologist and the nurse in the office. some problem solving may be in order to determine if it is bladder spasms, infection, which you were already treated for, type of catheter or size of catheter or even how it is placed and how the balloon is inflated. leaking from the urethra occurs post s/p catheter placement occasionally.

pbr
    Now from last few days when I am in wheelchair then everything goes well and no leakage. And when I lay down in bed then urine flow through external catheter also. Should I start taking anti spasm medicine when going to bed for solving the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

pbr
    Now from last few days when I am in wheelchair then everything goes well and no leakage. And when I lay down in bed then urine flow through external catheter also. Should I start taking anti spasm medicine when going to bed for solving the problem?