Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Blood work?

  1. #1

    Blood work?

    I'm 51yrs old. Is it important for me to get blood work done every year? And what good would it do? Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    Same age. Can pretty much find out a lot of different deficiencies or unknown issues you really cannot "feel." For example, I had bleeding ulcer in stomach. My suggestion, get the work done and see results. If all goes great, maybe it even provide a mental boost. It is 5 minutes to get the stuff done.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jschism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Same age. Can pretty much find out a lot of different deficiencies or unknown issues you really cannot "feel." For example, I had bleeding ulcer in stomach. My suggestion, get the work done and see results. If all goes great, maybe it even provide a mental boost. It is 5 minutes to get the stuff done.
    Yep, blood checks help to make sure your internals are working ok.

  4. #4
    It depends on what labs they are checking and what your overall health is. If your cholesterol looked great, imo there's no point in checking it 12 months later, because it won't have changed much. A screening CBC (to look at red blood cells and white blood cells) isn't of very high value if you're not symptomatic, same for checking the electrolytes. Might be worth having them all done once, and a lot of PCPs might want to do it yearly after that, but I bet they can't point to evidence based recommendations for screening that often.

    Since you're now over fifty, you are due for a screening colonoscopy though if you haven't had one already... have fun.

  5. #5
    For the diagnosis of SCI - basal metabolism panel = BMP is electrolytes, creatinine, glucose looking at fluid/ion balances, kidney function and risk for diabetes and maybe a CBC =complete blood count.

    This website tells you about what electrolytes are http://www.news-medical.net/health/W...ectrolyte.aspx

    The rest of the choices for lab work annually depends on what other co-morbidities (medical diagnoses) you have.
    Do you have or at risk for elevated cholesterol? -->lipid panel;
    Do you have liver disease, risk for malnutrition, bone disease, use of tylenol, use/abuse of alcohol, on a statin medication? --> LFT=liver function tests;
    Do you have family history of colon or other cancers, anemia, peptic ulcer disease, gastric bleed, use of aspirin --> CBC = complete blood count with or without differential.
    History of hypothyroidism, complaint of fatigue, weight loss? = TSH = Thyroid test

    Once you hit 50 years of age you should get stool card done to screen for colon cancer and/or intestinal bleed. And it is still recommended to get a colonoscopy looking for polyps.

    pbr

  6. #6
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess I will move forward with it. It can't hurt! Thanks!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Once you hit 50 years of age you should get stool card done to screen for colon cancer and/or intestinal bleed. And it is still recommended to get a colonoscopy looking for polyps.pbr
    Does a colonoscopy detect colon cancer as good as a stool card?

    Edit: never mind, found my answer
    http://www.mprnews.org/story/2013/09...screening-tool Sep 18, 2013

    '...Shaukat said she and her V.A. colleagues around the country are currently collaborating on a study that directly compares stool cards to colonoscopy. Those results are expected in about seven to eight years. Until then, the research shows that fecal occult-blood tests are a viable screening tool, if used regularly, she added.
    Shaukat said she's noticed that it is easier to convince some patients to take the stool test, than it is to convince them to get a colonoscopy.
    "At the moment I think the best test is the one that gets done," said Shaukat. "...'
    Last edited by nonoise; 05-08-2015 at 02:55 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Does a colonoscopy detect colon cancer as good as a stool card?

    Edit: never mind, found my answer
    http://www.mprnews.org/story/2013/09...screening-tool Sep 18, 2013

    '...Shaukat said she and her V.A. colleagues around the country are currently collaborating on a study that directly compares stool cards to colonoscopy. Those results are expected in about seven to eight years. Until then, the research shows that fecal occult-blood tests are a viable screening tool, if used regularly, she added.
    Shaukat said she's noticed that it is easier to convince some patients to take the stool test, than it is to convince them to get a colonoscopy.
    "At the moment I think the best test is the one that gets done," said Shaukat. "...'
    The problem is a fecal occult blood card can be positive for a bunch of reasons (any source of blood, but also if you take iron pills, or eat red meat). If it is positive then you get a colonoscopy anyway, because there is no way to know where it is coming from. Also minor polyps which might not be bleeding (so don't show up on FOBT) can be removed and biopsied via colonoscopy, so you at least have the potential of catching something earlier or eliminating a benign polyp that might turn cancerous.

    Though having a finger up your bum is obviously much less of a pain in the ass (pun intended) than a full scale colonoscopy.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    Hey! It takes about 2 minutes. Close your eyes, make a fist and hold it. It does not hurt. I won't lie, you will feel it. Before you know it, it will be over, they have as many tubes as supposed to get, and you are on your way. Do not be afraid to tell them where you would like to get the needle.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess I will move forward with it. It can't hurt! Thanks!

  10. #10
    I continue to put off the colonoscopy because of the prep for it. Hopefully the stool sample catches anything that might be wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. Blood work results
    By NoDecafPlz in forum Care
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 09:18 PM
  2. Blood Work Results
    By southerngal01 in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
  3. blood work
    By Sebastiang in forum Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 01:24 PM
  4. Getting the right blood work done.
    By Mike C in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 01:06 PM
  5. Blood work up
    By Liz321 in forum Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •