Thread: Rochester medical wideband catheters

Rochester medical wideband catheters

I have been using Rochester medical wideband catheters for years. I was able to use one for two days with very few accidents. But recently I am lucky if I can get one day from a catheter. Sometimes I have the changed twice a day. Is anyone else experienced problems with these catheters recently?

Had the same problem years ago. Was told my urine was too acidic. I changed to a catheter with external foam strap

Quote Originally Posted by jime View Post
    I have been using Rochester medical wideband catheters for years. I was able to use one for two days with very few accidents. But recently I am lucky if I can get one day from a catheter. Sometimes I have the changed twice a day. Is anyone else experienced problems with these catheters recently?
    Strange. I started having that problem with the Hollister InView Extra catheters several months back. I switched to the Rochester Spirit Style 3 Wideband and haven't experienced it since.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Quote Originally Posted by jime View Post
    Hey.how could you use the same condom Cath for a whole day? How do you Cath? Thru the condom?
    I use the spirit 3 and they are by far the best. When doing sports and particularly for longer period of time, I add a foam adhesive band do that the condom does not slip out...

I have been using the wideband for many years without issue. I just started a new box (lot 53427722) a couple weeks ago and haven't noticed any difference. I change it once a day (mornings) by which time, about a fourth to a half of the adhesive band has released. I don't Cath, just void through the condom all day.

I have a question, though, particularly for those who have used both. What is the practical difference between the original wideband and the spirit style 3. I mean, I know the claim of hydrocolloid properties. But what does that mean for the user? How does it affect the adhesive? What would be the case for switching from the original?
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    I have been using the wideband for many years without issue.
    I just realized I should qualify this. There have been times when the condom won't stay adhered an entire day. But, this has never been for a bunch of condoms in a row. And, usually, there is a cause that can be attributed. Maybe there was some extra tugging on the condom, or a kink, particularly when I roll over in bed (I now have the habit of a check on the bed bag tubing just after I roll). Also, when I have a bad UTI, I have noticed the adhesive giving up sooner.

Anyway, so when getting undressed for the night, I do a visual check. If there is less than about 3/4 inch still adhering ALL the way around, then I will change it before getting into bed.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Don't use glycerin based soaps or any oily type of soap, this can lead to issues. I just use unscented white dial soap and don't have issues. I use Clear advantage caths though too, so not sure if there has been adhesive issue lately with the Rochchesters, once in a while I'll get a bad batch of Clear advantage and I send them back and they send new ones (the supplier). If the caths are exposed to extreme hot or cold environments this can affect them too.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt is right. Avoid using soap or bath wipes that have emollients (moisturizers) in them on your penis. If you do use these, then before placing the ECC (external condom catheter), clean the skin with an alcohol wipe or swab. This will strip the moisturizer from the skin and allow better adhesion. Also, it is advisable to use some type of skin protective wipe/swab on your shaft where the adhesive will sit. We use 3M Cavilon Skin Protective Barrier swabs, but something like Skin Prep is fine too. Just be sure that this has all dried well before placing the ECC.

(KLD)

I use the Wide Band and before putting it on I apply Plain Tincture of Benzoin purchased in small bottles with an application brush on the cap bought on Amazon. I have never had a condom fail to adhere using this combo. I have experienced no skin irritation after using the benzoin for about 5 years.

Tincture of benzoin was all we had prior to the advent of the better skin protection products such as those I mention above. It stains horribly (linens, towels, clothing) if you get anything on it, and it makes it difficult to inspect the skin where it is applied (does not come off easily). While there are some who still find this works best, I would encourage you to try these other colorless products first.

(KLD)