Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Heading to the Stem Cell Institute in Panama

Quote Originally Posted by Josh017 View Post
    I am T-10 incomplete. As with b/b/s, I feel when I need to urinate but can only hold it in for up to about 2 minutes. I still have problems every once in a while of waking up and the bed is wet. Bowel I use suppositories every few days. If I have an upset stomach or something causes me to have to go, I definitely cannot hold it in at all to even have a chance to get to the bathroom in time. As for sexual function I have no feeling, no arousal at all.

Thank you
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Sorry for the late response as yesterday was my Mother's Birthday. I haven't had an ASIA test in about 2 years, but all of my current movement and function abilities I have documented in a video I posted on my blog page as of 2 weeks ago April 2015. The cost is $32,500 for treatment, and consists of multiple injections and physical therapy throughout the month. I have had physical therapy and time at the gym almost every day since my injury, so improvements will definitely be because of the stem cells as opposed to me just working on my legs and such during that month. And yes I was also disappointed in the others who went and didn't update on their progress, so I am hoping that what I am doing will be of benefit to many others
    Josh, if you want to be as thorough as possible, you should definitely get an ASIA exam. That video is not exact and reliable enough. An ASIA exam is much more thorough and valid, and a pre- and post-treatment ASIA score is something a lot of people can learn from.

You say you've spent "time at the gym" but what did that consist of? Were you in a commercial gym using regular weight lifting machines? Or were you doing things like functional electrical stimulation and bodyweight supported locomotor training?

Thank you for the answers to your questions so far and good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Josh, if you want to be as thorough as possible, you should definitely get an ASIA exam. That video is not exact and reliable enough. An ASIA exam is much more thorough and valid, and a pre- and post-treatment ASIA score is something a lot of people can learn from.

You say you've spent "time at the gym" but what did that consist of? Were you in a commercial gym using regular weight lifting machines? Or were you doing things like functional electrical stimulation and bodyweight supported locomotor training?

Thank you for the answers to your questions so far and good luck to you.
    Ok I will see if I can get one before I leave and another when I return if that would be of more help! And I use just a normal gym, treadmill at slow speed and take a break every few minutes. I have no control of my right leg so most of the leg exercise machines I cant use even with no weights added. I use electrical stimulation every day for my right ankle, Bioness device to lift my ankle with each step. I wear it on the treadmill and whenever I leave the house using walker or crutches otherwise my foot just drags around. I have had the Bioness device for almost 3 years now and use it daily.

Ok I will see if I can get one before I leave and another when I return if that would be of more help! And I use just a normal gym, treadmill at slow speed and take a break every few minutes. I have no control of my right leg so most of the leg exercise machines I cant use even with no weights added. I use electrical stimulation every day for my right ankle, Bioness device to lift my ankle with each step. I wear it on the treadmill and whenever I leave the house using walker or crutches otherwise my foot just drags around. I have had the Bioness device for almost 3 years now and use it daily.
    Given how incomplete you are, have you considered going to a place where you can get intensive, high-volume activity based PT such as the Kennedy Kreiger Institute in Maryland, or Craig Hospital in Colorado? There are also places like the Rehab Institute of Chicago, the SCI center at the Rehab Institute of Michigan, and other private pay gyms where you can get customized workouts that are much more intensive than you can get in a gym. It would be worth considering travelling to a place like that before you spend all the extra money you'd need to in order to go to Panama. You might get some benefit without the "medical" procedures (and I put the quotes there on purpose, because I use that term VERY loosely for a place like the Panama stem cell institute).

Haaaaaaaa LOL!

Given how incomplete you are, have you considered going to a place where you can get intensive, high-volume activity based PT such as the Kennedy Kreiger Institute in Maryland, or Craig Hospital in Colorado? There are also places like the Rehab Institute of Chicago, the SCI center at the Rehab Institute of Michigan, and other private pay gyms where you can get customized workouts that are much more intensive than you can get in a gym. It would be worth considering travelling to a place like that before you spend all the extra money you'd need to in order to go to Panama. You might get some benefit without the "medical" procedures (and I put the quotes there on purpose, because I use that term VERY loosely for a place like the Panama stem cell institute).
    Tomsonite has anything negative happened at the Panama institute that you know of? Bad Press etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone57 View Post
    Tomsonite has anything negative happened at the Panama institute that you know of? Bad Press etc..
    Bad press in Costa Rica. Re-located to Panama. Same company.

http://www.biospace.com/News/institu...an-stem/183075

Yes I have looked into this and other rehab options, its just there's not much more I can do to improve if I cant control my left ankle or leg muscles. Now after the stem cell treatment if I regain control, then yes I will be definitely doing as much intense PT to build the muscles back up, etc. The past 2 years of PT I have only seen improvements in how long I can stand and how far I can walk without getting tired. I had return slowly for about 2 years but then it stopped. And another reason the stem cell therapy has my interested is the regain of my b/b/s which I cant get back from therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Bad press in Costa Rica. Re-located to Panama. Same company.

http://www.biospace.com/News/institu...an-stem/183075
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...em-Cell-Treatm

I'd give it a shot but they won't treat me.