Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti Virus Software

Anti Virus Software

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and was surprised to find that I developed a bad virus which would not allow me to access the web. My only way to clean out the virus was to do a reset which resulted in losing all of my information. Fortunately I was registered with Google and was able to back up most of my information before doing a reset. My question is there any anti virus apps that I can install to keep this from occurring again? Prefer free or low cost.
    mike

AVG has an excellent free antivirus program. I've been using it for years and have yet to have gotten a virus or even a little sniffle on my computer (knock on wood).
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

I use both the FREE version of Avast and Malwarebyres.
    ^^(A)^^

AVG for me.. Been using it for years..

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    How would you explain anti-virus software to some one who does not use MicroSoft?

When you run your antivirus program picture a squad of security guard running around on full alert looking for intruders. When they find the intruders they bind them up and throw them into solitary until you decide what to do with them. Or this is the explanation that my seniors understand when I am cleaning out their computers and explaining what an antivirus is and why they need and need to run it.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    When you run your antivirus program picture a squad of security guard running around on full alert looking for intruders. When they find the intruders they bind them up and throw them into solitary until you decide what to do with them.
    The real question why are Microsoft systems designed to allow intruders.

I don't do LSD. Of course my computer does not have intruders. Though I have had experience with bugs and an actual mouse that peed in mine.

I run ClamAV via Debian clamassassin just to cut down on junk email.
    I don't read HTML email and anything spammy so phishing does not work.
    I don't run Microsoft so Microsoft viruses do not work.

http://2ndscale.com/rtomayko/2006/that-dilbert-cartoon
    Some people have even moved beyond Unix!
    http://mirtchovski.com/p9/plan9-guru.gif

I have a cron job to /usr/bin/debsums -c which detects any modified or improperly configured packages. I configure packages correctly via dpkg-reconfigure so does not throw any file modification warnings. I don't do stuff as root unless I need to.

I have never been pwned by malware even though I ran Microsoft for short time. I just didn't run it.

I second all the suggestions for AVG. My McAfee license ran out and my AVG has taken over and done a great job fending off malware.

Useful side dish for checking out certain file with 50 different Anti-Virus programs at same time good for testing:
    https://www.metadefender.com
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine