Thread: Electrophysiology and I have questions!

Electrophysiology and I have questions!

Sorry to put this in the cure forum, but it is related. I couldn't think of a more appropriate forum.

Check out this TED talk .. the good stuff starts at 1:40mins.

I have questions ... would this work for someone paralyzed?

I realize many muscles are atrophied .. bones .. tendons etc. What about someone newly injured who doesn't have the long term complication effects?

Like, I was imagining going to my sister's ... hooking us up ... getting up the stairs.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Haha ohh lynnifer there are soo many ways that would come in "handy" for a quad. lol. It is absolutely in the wrong forum.

Lol!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

I just thought if you hooked the transmitter electrodes to a functional muscle to trigger something below the injury, it might be functional.

Exactly .. can't be that easy though, can it?

At about 2:18, he mentions "lower motor neurons", which can sometimes be damaged/demyelinated as a result of SCI or an infection. Essentially, the way this works is and EMG reading from one muscle triggers FES on another muscle (or in the case of the video, a nerve). In order for this to work with someone with an SCI, their lower motor neurons would have to be intact.

As far as walking up the stairs at your sister's house, that would be an incredibly complex movement, probably too complex for a system like this. I imagine it having very useful applications for rehab/exercise, or minimally for research. On their web site, they apparently sell a simple brain interface system. I don't know how complex/sensitive their hardware is, but its might be possible using this type of equipment for a quad to use FES to get their fingers to move using their thoughts, or a para to get their legs to kick using their thoughts. Research is already being done on complex interfaces like that that would be much more sensitive and provide more robust results then the equipment these guys sell can. The trade-off with their equipment, of course, is how cheap it is. I think its a pretty awesome video and if nothing else, hopefully it will inspire some young kids to get more into neuroscience.

It really made me think that maybe schools NEED to educate early on spinal cord and brain injury/function.

No wonder we don't have enough neuroscientists.

It really made me think that maybe schools NEED to educate early on spinal cord and brain injury/function.

No wonder we don't have enough neuroscientists.

Even crawling up stairs would be good!

Wonder if pelvic floor muscles, bladder bowel muscles ... I see lots of rehab opportunities here.