Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freewheel question relating to compatibility

Freewheel question relating to compatibility

This may be a silly question and I apologize ahead of time if it is, but does anyone know if I were to purchase a FreeWheel if it would be compatible with an Icon I own. I've heard great things about the FreeWheel and would like to give it a shot. I love my Icon and I'm really hoping it's compatible with this device. Thanks in advance for any info.

Blog Entries
    If you have the newer tubular version of the footrest then it works just fine. If you have the original style footrest then it does not work at all.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  91.3 KB

This is my footrest. Is this the new style ?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Yes, that's the new one (you have a tubular beneath the full perimeter of the footplate, which isn't clear from your photos, but it's there). Freewheel will fit fine. My son used to have the original footrest - the new footrest (allowing the freewheel to fit) is a huge design improvement.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Thank you both very much for your help concerning this ! Gordy, here is a picture of the underside of the footplate.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  82.1 KB

I was thinking maybe this would give you a better idea if it was it or not.

Yep, it's definitely the new one! (The old one had a metal footplate and no rivets at the rear of the plate, which is how you can tell the difference without looking under the plate).

And you've also got the new style of caster arms...must be a new Icon!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

why dont you wait to try the thirdwheel thing from rgk?

What is the thirdwheel from rgk ? I've never heard of it. Do they have a website I can check out ? I tried googling rgk thirdwheel and not much popped up. I'm kind of inclined to sticking with the FreeWheel because they've been around for a bit. Also, I really like the inventor of the product who I met at a Abilities Expo in Atlanta a few years ago (Patrick Dougherty).

Try googling "rgk FrontWheel"...a blatant way of trying to confuse people who are looking for a FreeWheel?!?

I know which one I would go for (the one that is tried and tested). But perhaps rAdGie knows something I don't....

Nice ripoff. I think the freewheel has a bigger wheel for the front looking at a video of the frontwheel and going off memory. Might be easier with the bigger wheel. Anyone compare pricing (I'm too lazy to look)