Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old timey w/c - losing my patience.

That is good news, Moody. Keep moving forward with the matter. I do not know where you are from, but the first task is to locate a good dealer who stocks a variety of wheelchairs. Also, paying for the new chair should be considered because good chairs are not cheap these days. Does your husband have insurance that will cover wheelchair? You might have to check with his insurance to find out. Some good equipment dealers may have related information too. There will be hoops to jump through. You can get plenty of help from members in this Forum. Move steadily and carefully. When in doubt please ask for guidance here.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

That's great news, keep the lines of communication open about it. Make sure he knows he can discuss his concerns with you, and hopefully you can figure it out together. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    That is good news, Moody. Keep moving forward with the matter. I do not know where you are from, but the first task is to locate a good dealer who stocks a variety of wheelchairs. Also, paying for the new chair should be considered because good chairs are not cheap these days. Does your husband have insurance that will cover wheelchair? You might have to check with his insurance to find out. Some good equipment dealers may have related information too. There will be hoops to jump through. You can get plenty of help from members in this Forum. Move steadily and carefully. When in doubt please ask for guidance here.
    He is changing jobs and we are moving out of state in 6 weeks so I have to wait for the info from our new insurance. we can afford what is left over, but of course want to get them to pay as much as possible. And we are going to be living in a major medical city, so I doubt finding dealers will be too difficult. But I will look into it. They might even be able to tell me about the insurance before we actually move.
    - Moody

Blog Entries
    Take a look at an Icon. They are very light and so adjustable that you can set it up so he cannot tip it over sideways, forward or backward (using camber, putting the front casters forward, and setting the center of gravity far to the rear). Then as he becomes more sure of the chair, you can re-adjust it to be quite nimble.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Moody View Post
    He is changing jobs and we are moving out of state in 6 weeks so I have to wait for the info from our new insurance. we can afford what is left over, but of course want to get them to pay as much as possible. And we are going to be living in a major medical city, so I doubt finding dealers will be too difficult. But I will look into it. They might even be able to tell me about the insurance before we actually move.
    I would advise you to be cautious if you prefer to go to a dealer instead of scheduling an appointment at a large rehabilitation center for a "wheelchair evaluation". The rehab. center may also offer a "seating evaluation" to advise on cushion for wheelchair.
    While a dealer may be very helpful, they are likely to focus on the sale of a wheelchair. By the way, dealers are often in attendance at a rehab. center "wheelchair evaluation". Bottom line is that your husband will only change chairs if a different one is just as comfortable as his current oldie. A dealer can often bring several chairs to the evaluation for try-out.

What chair does your husband use now?
    I guess it folds. So it may be best to have him find a new folder and not make the radical (can't trust this here new fangled stuff, ya know) change to a rigid chair. If he'll do this maybe next he'll try one of them "push button" phones! and we can sneak him into the 20th century.

Maybe his biggest hang up is loading the chair in a car. Could you arrange an opportunity for him to try to disassemble and load a titanium, rigid chair with quick release wheels and folding back into his car. Once he realizes that this is no harder than folding and loading his lead sled, he may be more open. You could use a friends chair or visit a dealer. The chair need not fit him well as the exercise is to convince him he can use the light, rigid chair with his car.

Even my wife's Norwegian Great Grandparents with SB have finally modernized, the last of my family to do so. They went from old time Etac chairs, to TiLite ZRA and custom seating, they love their new chairs. They grin at how much better they move and sit. My wife and her grandparents offered them a chance to try newer chairs, they fell in love. They love their newfound energy and easier maneuvering.

He needs to WANT to change. When you move, look for wheelchair events in the new area. When he sees the chairs that other people have, he may want one. Getting his doctor involved is a good idea. Have the doctor recommend a new chair. You can also involve the dealer. Your dealer will have loaners. If they don't have a loaner that fits, the dealer can put you in touch with the regional representative for some of the wheelchair companies. The regional representatives can arrange for a trial. If you see a particular chair that you like, you can also contact the manufacturer yourself and arrange a meeting with a regional representative.