Thread: Refections - 36 yrs ago today

Refections - 36 yrs ago today

Well, its been 36 years ago today, 4/21/1979, that I fell and fractured my spine at T12-L1. As I reflect, here are some of my thoughts and comments.
    I haven?t stopped going since I was released from rehab. I started college right after rehab, and finished my degree in 4 years, found a job, and have been working ever since. I have traveled by myself to Bahamas, Mexico, Dominican Republic, and many places in the USA.

I have been very fortunate over the years, I haven?t cathed myself in over 20 years, same goes for laxatives and suppositories, haven?t used them for 20 years. I really don?t have any issues with my bladder or bowel care, or my overall heath for that matter, expect for the occasional UTI. The one minor problem I deal with is that I never had rods or surgery on my spine after my injury and I have 3 gnarled vertebra T11-L1 that the doctors would like to do some corrective surgery. Sitting all day everyday in a chair for 36 years has taken a bit of a toll on my spine, but it is manageable. However the doctors cannot guarantee that the corrective surgery will not screw up my current bladder and bowel care.

Concerning a cure, I doubt I will see anything in my life time that I would be willing to try based on the same concern mentioned above about bladder/bowel care. Also, my injury is in that dreaded transition area from T11 to L1. Where I have feeling goes at a diagonal across my body, on my left side I have feeling at about the T10 level and it goes diagonally down to where I have feeling down to the L2 range on the right side of my body. I am sure I will need corrective orthopedic and decompression surgery before any kind of a cure procedure. I really don?t want to take the risk of going through a cure procedure until it has been proven many times.

I was an active person before my injury, like many here, and lately there have been several posts where people are lamenting about their past life being gone. You can sit around and lament all day or you can find new things to do. I do miss riding a motorcycle, snow skiing and hiking, but I chose to find new things to do. However, I try to stay out of the quad discussions, because personally I would not know what I would do if I was a quad. I know I would support any decision a quad would make about ending life early.

Studies show a life expectancy to about 65-73 for a Para injured at 20 yrs old, and I am currently 56 and looking forward to making it to 73.

Happy anniversary Marvin!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Great attitude Marvin!

Three dozen under your belt. Keep on goin the way you have been. Best wishes for a smooth road ahead.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Marv, we almost have the same anniversary day... tomorrow (4/23/76) makes 39 for me. I don't have all your accomplishments but like you, try to keep positive and active as much as possible! It took about 5 years to break thru depression and a spiritual rebirth to move forward. Didn't start driving until 22 years after SCI. I still enjoy new things and life despite the limitations. My perspective is this is all temporary anyway and am confident in a resurrection and new body.

HOPE ya make that 73rd!

Marvin, congrats on 36 years!

(I thought you lived in Northern California)
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

@yoda291, I started driving right after I got out of rehab. I took my car to local garage and they installed the hand controls. This was 1979. It wasn't until the mid 1990's at one of the times I was do to renew my license that I eventually had to take a driving test.

Thanks for the words Marvin, congrats!

Blog Entries
    Marv,
    I was happy reading your post until I got to the part about being a quad, then I suddenly thought "fuck" that's me, and yes my life does suck as a high quad. You then proceeded to make up for the honorable mention when you referenced respecting our life decision making. Otherwise, good post, I wish you several more decades.

As for Yoda, I haven't seen any evidence to support your thinking, but it's cool to think about anyway.
    And that's 1,600?,

Question

As for Yoda, I haven't seen any evidence to support your thinking, but it's cool to think about anyway.
    And that's 1,600?,[/QUOTE]

Tim C.
    Congrats on #1,600! I have a long way to go to catch up with that. Today makes 39 years as a C5, for me, truthfully it is much easier for me to believe in the resurrection than the coming "5 year cure" although I do support research for it. I do not try to bang anyone over the head with what I believe but could wish everyone had the the peace and comfort I have in the assurance of what I believe. I think there is plenty of evidence for resurrection ...

Yoda