Thread: Sore swollen neck

Sore swollen neck

I played several sled hockey games over the weekend. While wearing my hockey helmet my neck always seems to hurt; I'm assuming from the weight of the helmet. I have a small fusion; just C5/6. Now hours later, the muscles on sides of my neck and along collarbone are super sore and even light touch is painful. I've iced several times today and applied a muscle salve. Now the right side of my neck is slightly swollen where the painful muscle is. I will be calling doc tomorrow afternoon to try to get muscle relaxers; but in the meantime any other suggestions?

Try some heat maybe to relax the muscle not much else to do if it is musclar pain.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

For the first 24 hours, ice it. Then you can use warm packs (not Hot packs). If the heat makes it worse, then go back to the ice. You can also try taking some over the counter anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen or naproxen.
    This is probably from either the weight or fit or both of the helmet. Might want to see if there is something else out there that you can use.
    ckf