Thread: Blood Clot

Blood Clot

Forgive me, but here's another blood clot thread.

I'm 10 years post-injury/SCI and have what has been diagnosed (March 24th duplex ultrasound) as a long-standing DVT in my right leg. I have extensive tone and ambulate short distance with a walker. I'm on Warfarin and I'm protected by an IVC filter.

I have a few questions. My PCP does not think the discomfort, pain and weakness in my right leg is related to the clot and I beg to differ. I do get relief when my leg is elevated in my adjustable bed. The leg throbs when in a sitting position. There's tingling in my right foot at times. My weakness and difficulty walking seems to increase as the day wears on.

A follow-up ultrasound is rarely ordered and my instructions at present are to wait a month and if there's no improvement or my conditions worsen, they may take another look at the clot.

I'm convinced that my problems are blood clot-related. If not, what else could it possibly be? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any advice would be appreciated.

What does your PCP think it is if he doesn't think it is due to the DVT?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    What does your PCP think it is if he doesn't think it is due to the DVT?
    Honestly, I'm not sure. He didn't say and it seems we'll cross that bridge if it isn't better when the clot is gone. That's why he's playing the waiting game and I'm out to prove him wrong. Sadly, my PCP is not all that familiar with a SCI. I think that's why he doesn't think it should have an effect on my walking. Maybe those without tone/spasticity/or a SCI have different symptoms and are still able to walk without any weakness?

As an aside, if the problem persists I'll have to ask for an out-of-network referral to someone familiar with SCI. I'm just terribly frustrated right now.

I think you should give it time for the blood to get smaller. It does take a while. Did the study show your arterial circulation were okay??

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I think you should give it time for the blood to get smaller. It does take a while. Did the study show your arterial circulation were okay??

CWO
    To the best of my knowledge, my arterial circulation must have been okay. I wasn't told otherwise in the vascular lab or by my doctor.

I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Thank you, CWO.