Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backpack on a powerchair

Question backpack on a powerchair

i'm having trouble figuring out how to put a backpack on my new powerchair.
    it is a permobil c300 and does not have any push handles or hooks or a bar on the back.
    i can hook a tote bag on the headrest mount for my books and school stuff, but i use a feeding tube pump that goes into a backpack.
    does anyone have any recemendations on how to add hooks to the chair, or how to put the backpack on it?
    thank you.
    mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
    type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
    aspergers & friends
    survivor of 2 TIA strokes

What type of backrest is it?

If it's one that is a hard shell with a soft cushion attached on your side of it then look in the shell to see if it has any additional holes where it could have been mounted differently. If it does then you can use these holes to install hooks from a hardware store. Just use a washer to spread the load and rounded bolts then make sure that you can't feel them through the backrest cushion.

If it doesn't have holes or they are in inconvenient places then you might be able to drill some, but that depends who owns the chair and backrest. If it's an insurance company or somebody other than you then you'll need to check before you drill anything.

If it's a different kind of backrest then describe it or link pictures and we will see what else we can come up with. It's not a good idea to hang much off your headrest as it won't be designed to carry much weight and could break.

If you have a Corpus Permobil back on this chair (the most common configuration), you can order it with or add on clips that will hold their "Medical Necessities" back pack: http://www.permobilus.com/accessories.php

(KLD)

it is the corpus back. will that only hold their brand of backpack? it doesn't look very easy to access.
    i will take a picture of it tonight and investigate whether or not i can add hooks from a hardware store.

this is the website info for the back
    http://www.permobilus.com/corpus3g.php
    aspergers & friends

here are some photos. let me know if you want to see a different angle or a closer shot of something.

http://imgur.com/a/XOyyr
    aspergers & friends

You could try a backpack with longer straps, and maybe a chest strap or something to connect the two straps together.

It looks like there are holes that could be used to attach hooks lower down but they'd be too low for using a backpack, maybe a tote bag or similar though.

If your back is similar to the one on my mother's C400 Corpus back, we took a canvas handbag and sewed on ribbons, then tied these to the cross bar at the midback area. It worked really well.Name:  P1020280.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  295.0 KB

(KLD)

i dont have a crossbar. i really wish i did.
    aspergers & friends

Having had a closer look at your pictures (I didn't notice the side view with the backpack on before) it should be an easy fix.

Turn the headrest tightening bolt so that it holds the headrest firmly, then pull outwards on the lever and turn it to point upwards. This should be possible to do without adjusting the actual screw. You have now created more space under your headrest mount so the bag can sit closer to the backrest.

Do you remove and replace the backpack? or does it pretty much stay in place? If it stays in place then you can remove the back pad, place the bag in position. Use some string or ribbon or something to tie the two straps together and then replace the back pad. You'll have a nice secure bag that doesn't stick out too much.

If you need to be able to remove and replace it then your current method looks like it would work if the headrest didn't hold the bag out so far. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hello,
    I drilled holes in the plastic backing, bolted on some pipe brackets from Lowes and attatched carabiners.
    Name:  IMG_0101.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  70.8 KB