Thread: Spinal Fusion at t-7

Spinal Fusion at t-7

Dr. Young
    My mother, age 73, is a paraplegic with bladder and bowel function after having an infarct during a medical procedure to remove an hemangioma. She has no other medical issues. At the time of the infarct the neurosurgen scrapped the vertebrae to relieve the compression. This weakened the bone and she has been monitored for a few years. Her pain has been increasing the last few months and the most recent MRI shows that it is splintering and she will need a spinal fusion. We are terrified that her condition could become worse during the procedure. What medical facilities specialize in Spinal Fusions for patients with SCI? Who could we talk to that is on the cutting edge of technology for this procedure for patients with SCI? Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

When her SCI first happened you referred us to Barrows where we learned about Cyberknife which our local doctor had never heard of at the time.
    With cyberknife we were able to shrink the hemangioma and keep it from growing.

Thank you for this site!

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass girl View Post
    Dr. Young
    My mother, age 73, is a paraplegic with bladder and bowel function after having an infarct during a medical procedure to remove an hemangioma. She has no other medical issues. At the time of the infarct the neurosurgen scrapped the vertebrae to relieve the compression. This weakened the bone and she has been monitored for a few years. Her pain has been increasing the last few months and the most recent MRI shows that it is splintering and she will need a spinal fusion. We are terrified that her condition could become worse during the procedure. What medical facilities specialize in Spinal Fusions for patients with SCI? Who could we talk to that is on the cutting edge of technology for this procedure for patients with SCI? Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

When her SCI first happened you referred us to Barrows where we learned about Cyberknife which our local doctor had never heard of at the time.
    With cyberknife we were able to shrink the hemangioma and keep it from growing.

Thank you for this site!
    Dear bluegrass girl,

Almost every major hospital in the United States should have an experienced spinal neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon who can do a spinal fusion. Spinal fusions are very commonly done whenever there is bony fractures of the spinal column. This is not something that requires "cutting edge" technology. It is good old fashion surgery. I had recommended Barrows for treating the hemangioma because of the risk of surgically removing the tumor. I am glad that they decided to use a cyber knife and that it worked well for your mother. You can request that your doctor recommend a doctor who can give you a second opinion.

Wise.

My mom still has not had the fusion and her condition is getting worse. We travelled to Cleveland Clinc and saw Dr. Benzel and he suggested not having the surgery. I think basically due to her age. Her new MRI report also mentions new hemangioma's near her spinal cord. We are sending her new MRI to Dr. Benzel for review but would like someone closer to Louisville. Can anyone recommend a surgeon in Indianapolis or Nashville? Does anyone have any thoughts on The Hospital for Spinal Surgery in Nashville, TN?

I am not able to provide you with that information. Perhaps when you speak with Dr. Benzel he can. Good luck!

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.