Thread: Bladder Spasms

Bladder Spasms

For the last month or so I've been experiencing bladder spasms when there is between 150-200 mls in my bladder. The spasms aren't relieved until I've been intermittent cathed and they are the make you cry kind of spasms. Normally, I am intermittent cathed about every 4 to 6 hours but recently can't go that long. I also have a lot of spasticity which makes transferring and the whole process challenging. Occasionally, to give me and caregivers a break a foley is placed. I have almost no bladder spasms with the foley in place and noticed that I have a lot less spasticity. I take Detrol and my primary recently screened for a UTI. I don't have one. Does anyone have any insight as to what maybe occurring? I have to wait a few weeks to see the urologist.

Thank you!

It may be that you have bladder stones. You should be checked out for that.

Then there is the possibility that your bladder is changing and your bladder management techniques may have to change too. When was the last time you had a urodynamics study?

All the best,
    GJ

Last urodynamics test was about a year ago. I'm probably due for another. Having the foley in is more comfortable and a lot easier but I understand it isn't as healthy for your bladder as IC.

Would try another anticholinergic such as Oxybutynin or Vesicare or the newer medication Myrbetriq.
    We don't find Detrol that helpful for most of our SCI pts.
    CWO