Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-year-old Russian man volunteers for world's first human head transplant

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I thought this was a hoax.
    It is. Better chance getting free heat out of this surgeon's ass.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Looks like the Italian surgeon may be stuck.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...ricans-n374721

Blog Entries

Elephants?

Quote Originally Posted by taymas View Post
    I know right?

SCI nurse is right... Even if he lives, he'll be quadraplegicdue to the spinal cord... What the hell is this bullshit? I read the news article weeks ago, the surgeon is too optimistic, naive and the spinal cord being one of the many elephants in the room... Sorry but how the f--- does he expect him to walk within a year?

idiot.
    Speaking of idiots,
    How do you expect the surgery to remain sterile with an elephant in the room?
    I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when you were discussing that one!

Here is a link to another article on this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/b...navtype=outfit

The article actually mentions that the doctor thought of the head transplant as a possible cure for central pain syndrome. It's an interesting thought-assuming a head, along with preserved spinal cord of injured quad with central pain syndrome, could be successfully connected to the neck and spinal cord of a donor body, would the resumption of normal sensations reaching the brain from the donor body counteract the sensations of pains from the original body which may be imprinted on the brain after years or decades of central pain syndrome?

The Baltimore Sun is a subscription site, but I believe that allow some free articles per month.
    Last edited by alan; 06-13-2015 at 02:23 PM.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

As far as I know he has no chance of success.
    Even if somehow he will find a way to try the transplant it will fail, but I don't think he will be able to try.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

He truly thinks outside the box. I too doubt he succeeds even if it were funded.
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    As far as I know he has no chance of success.
    Even if somehow he will find a way to try the transplant it will fail, but I don't think he will be able to try.

Paolo

Cruel thing is that if this has even the smallest chance of actually being attempted, it would probably get more media coverage than the real SCI stuff taking place ...
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

He gave a long, rambling speech at the American Academy of Neurological and Orthopedic surgeons earlier this week in which he admitted that he knows how to cleanly sever the spinal cord but doesn't have a plan in place for repairing a severed anterior spinal artery or reattaching the head itself. He wants Bill Gates and other billionaires to give him money for research and to pay the surgeons,

His quote for how to repair the severed spinal cord was " You cut the spaghetto, you apply PEG* , and boom"

"Marc Stevens, an orthopedic surgeon from Smithfield, North Carolina who was attending the conference, said Canavero's presentation was intriguing but more research should be done on healing spinal cord injuries instead of attempting a head transplant."

"Jerry Silver, a Case Western Reserve University neurosciences professor, cautioned that spinal reconnection science touted by Canavero was far from ready, noting the difficulties involved in reattaching the vagus nerve, which controls a variety of functions including digestion and heart rates."

* Polyethylene Glycol

Last edited by 2drwhofans; 06-13-2015 at 09:27 PM.

The surgeon has moved forward with a head transplant on a monkey.

He went to the mainstream press before his scientific article is published in the reputable journal Surgery

https://www.newscientist.com/article...erick-surgeon/

A clinical trial for decapitation or a sicko drumming up publicity for his absurdity? Yuck!! I've heard of everything now... GROSS!