Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-year-old Russian man volunteers for world's first human head transplant

30-year-old Russian man volunteers for world's first human head transplant

Scary stuff but you never know. My bet is that the guy doesnt survive the surgery.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/292306.php?tw

April 13, 2015

Donor body will be attached to recipient's head through spinal cord fusion
    Dr. Canavero told CNN he has received an array of emails and letters from people asking to be considered for the procedure, many of which have been from transgender individuals seeking a new body. However, the surgeon says the first people to undergo the procedure will be those with muscle wasting conditions like Spiridonov.

The procedure - which is estimated to take 100 surgeons around 36 hours to complete - will involve spinal cord fusion (SCF). The head from a donor body will be removed using an "ultra-sharp blade" in order to limit the amount of damage the spinal cord sustains.

"The key to SCF is a sharp severance of the cords themselves," Dr. Canavero explains in a paper published earlier this year, "with its attendant minimal damage to both the axons in the white matter and the neurons in the gray laminae. This is a key point."

The spinal cord of the donor body will then be fused with the spinal cord of the recipient's head. Chemicals called polyethylene glycol or chitosan can be used to encourage SCF, according to Dr. Canavero. The muscles and blood supply will then be sutured.

The recipient will be kept in a coma for around 3-4 weeks, says Dr. Canavero, during which time the spinal cord will be subject to electrical stimulation via implanted electrodes in order to boost the new nerve connections.

The surgeon estimates that - with the help of physical therapy - the patient would be able to walk within 1 year.

"I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Blog Entries
    No big deal! Here in the States we have been removing politicians heads and reattaching them south and sternward!

Even if he should survive (doubtful) he certainly will be a complete C1 tetraplegic. Where are the rats and monkeys that they have done this on successfully?? If we knew how to "fuse" the spinal cord we would have cured everyone on these forums long ago!!

(KLD)

I thought this was a hoax.

http://newsexaminer.net/health/world...ant-a-success/ but wait what? so it was a race to be the first? because these are 2 different people.

Yea, I'm interested in learning how there going to tackle the "reconnection" of the spinal cord. "The surgeon estimates that - with the help of physical therapy - the patient would be able to walk within 1 year." I think that quote is way too optimistic but we'll see.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

When pigs fly.

I watched this documentary on PBS years ago... I thought it was crazy, but certainly interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGpmTf2kOc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW2RVq5ufgw

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    No big deal! Here in the States we have been removing politicians heads and reattaching them south and sternward!
    Yep, but this is just sick on so many levels. I cannot imagine it. UCK!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Yep, but this is just sick on so many levels. I cannot imagine it. UCK!
    I know right?

SCI nurse is right... Even if he lives, he'll be quadraplegicdue to the spinal cord... What the hell is this bullshit? I read the news article weeks ago, the surgeon is too optimistic, naive and the spinal cord being one of the many elephants in the room... Sorry but how the f--- does he expect him to walk within a year?

idiot.