Thread: Cures and Non Traumatic SCI

Cures and Non Traumatic SCI

I know this is a broad question and probably does not have one answer, but will treatments/cure have to be different for people who suffered a spinal cord stroke or a non traumatic SCI? I read an article once about it being harder to cure because of loss of gray matter, but I have not been able to find much information about it. I would like to understand it better if anyone has some information to share. Thank you.

I also heard that those whose injuries are from infarcts will have a more difficult area to regenerate. This makes no sense to me. I had one at C6-7 and am an ASIA B/C incomplete. I started out with no motor just had light touch, vibration and propriosensation. After 2 years and a ton of PT I started getting muscles back. Now after 22 years, well, age is taking its toll on the neurons remaining. But why would I have a more difficult injury to fix than a complete injury from, say, a burst fracture? I would assume that most traumatic injuries have fragments in or secondary damage in the gray area too. BTW, I also regained spotty hot vs cold and doctors are no longer allowed near me with a safety pin.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I haven't heard anything like this. If anything just the opposite, for example the biomaterial bridge strategy invivo Therapeutics is working on. they have plans to work toward chronic spinal cord injuries as soon as they can partner with somebody who can provide the stem cells to "seed" the product with.

Do you all have a link to where you found this information?

No, I've read about 1 million posts on this forum in the last 8 years and it was just something I read along the way. I don't hear much about cure and non traumatic sci, so it stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I also heard that those whose injuries are from infarcts will have a more difficult area to regenerate. This makes no sense to me. I had one at C6-7 and am an ASIA B/C incomplete. I started out with no motor just had light touch, vibration and propriosensation. After 2 years and a ton of PT I started getting muscles back. Now after 22 years, well, age is taking its toll on the neurons remaining. But why would I have a more difficult injury to fix than a complete injury from, say, a burst fracture? I would assume that most traumatic injuries have fragments in or secondary damage in the gray area too. BTW, I also regained spotty hot vs cold and doctors are no longer allowed near me with a safety pin.
    Hi Sue, how does age exactly take a toll on remaining neurons, is it a different process because if a spinal cord injury?

this question piqued my curiosity. I found this, read the second paragraph.

http://m.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/con...B/11/1413.full

"Trauma is a far more destructive process than neurodegeneration: "