Thread: sore from positioning belt

sore from positioning belt

So, I spend almost all of my time on my 20 yo P200 without any positioning belts. Been doing this for all those years. I slouch, push myself up, slouch, push up, every 10-15 minutes, or so. The slouching isn't good, but the pushing up is exercise, and it keeps my butt moving. However, my "going out" chair is a 4 yo P222SE with a lap belt across my upper thighs. The belt helps to maintain a more upright posture. Normally, I am only in that chair for 2-3 hours at a time max, without doing some transfer (since I currently drive from a van seat). The other day, I decided to move my office to the beach park. In that case, I was in the P222 for about 6+ hours straight, with the lap belt on the whole time. When I was dressing the next day, I noticed a sore on the side of my thigh, very close to where it meets the cushion. As best as I can tell, the only pressure or significant abrasion (I wear jeans) in that spot would be from the belt, which crosses right over it. The sore might have come from that one extended session, or an accumulation of all the times recently I have had the belt on.

So, my question is, what would be the best way to prevent this kind of sore. Should I figure out some kind of padding? Do I have to unbelt myself periodically? If so, how often and for how long? Is there a better positioning method? I am guessing that my tendency to slouch is putting quite a bit of pressure on the belt. This will be important to solve, especially if I get a new vehicle and start driving from the chair.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Can you make the belt a bit longer? By doing this it will help when you slouch.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Do you have any dump in your seating? This would help to prevent you sliding forward in your chair some and maybe take away the need for the belt completely. I would also recommend that you have other aspects of your seating re-evaluated if you have not had this done recently.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    Can you make the belt a bit longer? By doing this it will help when you slouch.
    The belt is adjustable, but making it longer would just let me slouch, which seems to defeat the purpose of the belt, no? And if it restrains the slouch, by being not being long enough, then I am back to getting pressure from the belt.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you have any dump in your seating? This would help to prevent you sliding forward in your chair some and maybe take away the need for the belt completely. I would also recommend that you have other aspects of your seating re-evaluated if you have not had this done recently.
    I am hesitant to increase the dump (the P200 has about an inch more), because the only way is to increase the STF height in front, and, as it is, the main reason I don't use the P222 all the time is it is too high. It was the lowest PC I could find, and it is still 1 inch too high without the preferred dump. That being said, I still slouch BIG time in the P200, so the dump would even have to be more severe. There is only one seating clinic in the state, and, as far as I know, my insurance (Kaiser) won't cover it. I should check into the OOP cost, though. I have used deep contour Jays, hybrid Roho's (my current every day cushion, as I got a sacral sore with the Jay), and a contour Stimulite in the P222. The Stimulite actually seems to provide the best resistance to slouching, although it is hard to say for sure, since I use the chairs so differently. I am reluctant to use it for my everyday, as the Roho probably has better pressure relief. I slouch in all the cushions, which is problematic, because the cushions weren't designed to prevent sores from severe forward pressure. Also, it should be noted, that much of the slouching occurs because I feel more stable when slouched. I am a squirmer, just naturally restless. And I have some minor sensation in my buttocks. So, without the belt, I fatigue quickly sitting upright and just sort of naturally find myself down into a slouch. In other words, the slouch isn't just from gravity, my body forces itself into a slouch. I am constantly leaning back hard (stretching) to drive my hips forwards. All of this is done subconsciously. The truth is, I should probably use a belt all the time, but don't like the feeling of confinement. I also would definitely have issues with sores, as I don't do formal weight shifts. The belt keeps my butt from constantly moving. It is hard to overcome 30 years of habit.
    Last edited by Kulea; 04-12-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, the only reason for a belt is to keep you from falling out. I think that I remember that SCI-OTR figured out a way to get a bit more dump from the P222 by lowering the rsh a few years ago.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I don't think you would have to loosen it too much just enough so it wouldn't rub and press on the hips enough to cause pressure. Maybe it would be worth it just to try it if it dosen't work then maybe a piece of foam there or some more padding on the belt itself. Also maybe a seating clinic appointment may be worth a shot as well.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009