Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: It sure is frusterating with all the good things that seem to have been announced

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I don't really think mind frames have anything to do with it, it's a very complex thing and very slow process, it's as simple as that. Nobody is out to get anyone or move slow on research because they think we are content. A couple factors that do slow things down though is lack or research funding, FDA restraints, certain political factors that have cut research funding to bare bones minimum.
    Nailed it.

- add in the many sci orgs splitting the same small pot
    - no unity like als or ms in community
    - loss of a injured leader. Chris Reeves could shake the world. Before my SCI, I remember how his super bowl ad challenged authority and stirred the media. He had balls the size of elephants and let people know this injury is horrific.
    - you can be at peace with yourself, but also state the indignities of a situation and express the will to change it. This whole happy wheeler thing is odd to me. Was Gandhi, MLK, Jesus, Malcolm X happy?

That commercial made one of the top 6 most awful super bowl commercials ever made. In 2000, paralyzed former Superman star Christopher Reeve “appeared” in this commercial. The message was that in the future, a whole lot of crazy crap is going to happen. Including, apparently, Christopher Reeve’s head being grafted to the body of a giant. The goal of the commercial was to touch the hearts of Americans everywhere. Instead, everyone just kind of went, “Uh, that was creepy” and awkwardly took a bite out of their chicken wings. Oh also no one had any clue what Nuveen Investments did either because the commercial was really vague and almost made Nuveen Investments seem like an evil corporation from the future. Probably like the one that made Robocop.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    That commercial made one of the top 6 most awful super bowl commercials ever made. In 2000, paralyzed former Superman star Christopher Reeve “appeared” in this commercial. The message was that in the future, a whole lot of crazy crap is going to happen. Including, apparently, Christopher Reeve’s head being grafted to the body of a giant. The goal of the commercial was to touch the hearts of Americans everywhere. Instead, everyone just kind of went, “Uh, that was creepy” and awkwardly took a bite out of their chicken wings. Oh also no one had any clue what Nuveen Investments did either because the commercial was really vague and almost made Nuveen Investments seem like an evil corporation from the future. Probably like the one that made Robocop.
    According to a website called the Bro Bible? Are you joking?

People can dissect others actions in retrospect, however this wasn't the reaction that majority people I was acquainted with had. Regardless – it actually generated discussion. This is in a time when Super Bowl commercials could not have been fast forwarding through and actually had more impact.

Oh, and a "whole lot of crazy crap" has happened.

I thought you had copied and pasted that too, Grammy ... from this site: http://www.brobible.com/sports/artic...bowl-ads-ever/

I don't find that commercial bad at all. In fact - in its heyday- it was remarkable and stirred a lot of conversation and awareness. I remember some of the conversation here as I joined a year later (though lurked for a year before that). First it was Rick Hansen, but Christopher Reeve really nailed the message worldwide - and allowed us to admit and think about the possibility - that we wanted to be 'cured.' (I rather the expression, 'treatments' than cured).

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

[QUOTE=GRAMMY;1765847] The message was that in the future, a whole lot of crazy crap is going to happen. Including, apparently, Christopher Reeve’s head being grafted to the body of a giant.

Maybe, just maybe, this was inspiration for the head transplant surgeon guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    The message was that in the future, a whole lot of crazy crap is going to happen. Including, apparently, Christopher Reeve’s head being grafted to the body of a giant.

Maybe, just maybe, this was inspiration for the head transplant surgeon guy.
    Yes, it was copied and pasted from the link I put in the post there Lynnifer. When I googled for the old super bowl television commercials, that was the first website that came up. Reeve died over a decade ago and the television football commercial showing a healthy cured Reeve was an obvious faked photoshop job some 15 years ago for an investment company gimmick. Some hated Nuveen's awkward messaging.

The head transplant surgeon guy is in the headlines now so a whole lot of crazy crap has really happened over the last decade and a half.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 04-26-2015 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Sorry I went straight to Youtube to look up the commercial. How awful that the one website geared to men 'brobible' caters to making fun of what meant a lot for the paralyzed at the time.

That same website also points out reviews on Amazon regarding the four best dildos ... http://www.brobible.com/life/article...eviews-amazon/ ... so I'd take that with a grain of salt, lol. I know, I know - leave it to me to find that out! lol

Regarding the head transplant guy, it was a brave (or somewhat courageous and dumbfounded) surgeon in South Africa who once transplanted a monkey's heart into a human being for the first time. That certainly opened a lot of doors, didn't it?

I don't expect success with the head transplant ... how will the brain be kept alive, the spinal cord reattached, whose body, etc ... but it's bold. Kudos to the terminally ill man for volunteering.

Dumb question time: If he has to take immunosuppressants, where do these come from? The spinal cord fluid ... or the gut originally???? So many questions.

Head transplantation -- The future is now | Dr. Sergio Canavero | TEDxLimassol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV5p...glABXcomndv_lw
    Last edited by lynnifer; 04-24-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Ya Lynnifer, I know on the website, right? But it was the only one that may have confirmed the testicular size of elephants the Chaz19 fella talked about. I know, I know, I'd be the one to want all the stated facts confirmed in a review so it's goes with a grain of salt. lol
    It seems to me there's way too many systems to re-hook up for the head transplant volunteer to survive. I guess they start from somewhere though.
    It wasn't that long ago when heart transplants were a new thing too. It's amazing some of the things that are happening over the years in science.
    In fact, it was just last year on television we saw a para do the kick off in the robotic suit at the World Cup!

Last edited by GRAMMY; 04-26-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling

This is what we actually saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAvtglo9Jg

Watch the man kneeling to the right of the paraplegic. He seems to flick the robotic right leg out to connect with the ball.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 04-24-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Well yes, unfortunately the world cup commercial last year did lack the panache of the super bowl commercial from 15 years ago.