Thread: Is regeneration required for restoration of hand function?

Is regeneration required for restoration of hand function?

At the 16th International Symposium on Neural Regeneration there will be an interesting debate:

Proposition: CST regeneration is required for restoration of hand function.

Moderator: Gordon Mitchell (Univ Florida)

Affirmative: Oswald Steward (UC Irvine), Ephron Rosenzweig (UCSD), Monica Perez (Univ
    Pitt), Wolfram Tetzlaff (UBC, ICORD)

Negative: Karim Fouad (Univ Edmonton), Michael Beattie (UCSF), Chet Moritz (Univ Wash),Jim Guest (Univ Miami)

It would be very interesting if someone could attend and report back.

The ISNR meeting will take place November 30-December 4, 2015 at the Asilomar Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove, CA.

Link

Program: Link
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

nice
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Conference registration closed a few weeks ago, but I imagine the Affirmative team will win if Ephron gets his guitar out at the end of the debate again. His parody song writing and performance in the debate summary for his team in 2013 put them in the winning slot hands down.

This song was performed as part of the official debate event during the 2013 International Symposium on Neural Regeneration.
    The proposition under debate:
    "The Barrier to Axonal Regeneration is Intrinsic to the Neuron".
    Our team was assigned the 'Con' viewpoint, arguing that the barrier is extrinsic.
    After 15 minutes of technical slides and arguments by our team, this song was our 'summary'.

I've left in the technical gaffes, performance goofs, and audience reactions (I love the fact that someone - and I think I recognize the voice - says "oh no!" when I walk out on stage with the guitar)!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Conference registration closed a few weeks ago, but I imagine the Affirmative team will win if Ephron gets his guitar out at the end of the debate again. His parody song writing and performance in the debate summary for his team in 2013 put them in the winning slot hands down.

This song was performed as part of the official debate event during the 2013 International Symposium on Neural Regeneration.
    The proposition under debate:
    "The Barrier to Axonal Regeneration is Intrinsic to the Neuron".
    Our team was assigned the 'Con' viewpoint, arguing that the barrier is extrinsic.
    After 15 minutes of technical slides and arguments by our team, this song was our 'summary'.

I've left in the technical gaffes, performance goofs, and audience reactions (I love the fact that someone - and I think I recognize the voice - says "oh no!" when I walk out on stage with the guitar)!

That's a very funny summary!
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

The 30 minute debate was intense and informative from both sides. The final few minutes allowed the team members to smile and shake hands over the issue they'd furiously scientifically debated over.

GRAMMY are you going?

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

question answered

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    GRAMMY are you going?
    Yes, I'll be there again. I'd hate to miss it.

Don't even understand how this is the debate, How do they expect hand function to return without axon regeneration. Rehab? Maybe for a very incomplete injury. That's just common knowledge for SCI.

any takeaway to share about what it might take to get a return of hand function?