Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Using Peristeen

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    "After Burn" ... I had't put 2 and 2 together till you mentioned this, but my butt is constantly on fire, I've been blaming it on everything but the Peristeen and trying everything..
    Now you have me really wondering..

The only way to find out I guess is to quit the Peristeen for a month... (yeah I've been using the Peristeen for too long to remember exactly when this burning became an issue!)
    Crap I really liked how the Peristeen left me so clean, I wonder what it would be that would be causing the burning? Wonder if there is anything I could add to the water to help?
    I was really referring to the typical complaint about Magic Bullets," after burn" or "butt snot." But it is interesting that you have a burning sensation. Wonder if adding about 1 tsp of regular, plain table salt to 1000 ml of water would help?

Is anyone having a problem with the Peristeen balloon just being forced out? I’ve been using the system since May 2018. It worked well at first and I’ve always had to hold the catheter in and adjust the inflation of the ballon after I start infusing water but lately the ballon just gets forced out very quickly and it pops if I try to hold it in too much. I’m not able to get much water in at all before this happens. I’d appreciate any insights our suggestions. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CGray255 View Post
    Is anyone having a problem with the Peristeen balloon just being forced out? I’ve been using the system since May 2018. It worked well at first and I’ve always had to hold the catheter in and adjust the inflation of the ballon after I start infusing water but lately the ballon just gets forced out very quickly and it pops if I try to hold it in too much. I’m not able to get much water in at all before this happens. I’d appreciate any insights our suggestions. Thanks!
    How old is the catheter? How often do you replace the catheter?

It happens with brand new catheters as well as ones I’ve gotten a couple of weeks out of. BP is every other day.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    how many pumps are you giving the balloon on the catheter ? When it comes out is it still inflated? I had an issue with the seals not being so great and the balloon would slowly deflate and then the catheter would come out once the balloon got small enough.

On odd occasions, my bowel evacuates everything with one mighty (for a better word) fart, catheter inflated balloon and everything in my bowel.... to be honest to me this is the best the whole system works.

how many pumps are you giving the balloon on the catheter ? When it comes out is it still inflated? I had an issue with the seals not being so great and the balloon would slowly deflate and then the catheter would come out once the balloon got small enough.

On odd occasions, my bowel evacuates everything with one mighty (for a better word) fart, catheter inflated balloon and everything in my bowel.... to be honest to me this is the best the whole system works.
    I?d say 5 or so full pumps but entered gradually. Sometimes a few more gentle squeezes if the water is leaking around it. Water temp is 98, infused at 1 pump every couple of seconds but lately I?m having a hard time keeping the ballon in long enough to get much water in. Rectum and catheter are lubed with KY liquid. It seems like my rectum is contracting and pushing the fully inflated ballon out and doing so with enough force so that it pops if I try to hold it in.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I don't remember why... but when I put the catheter in I give 2 pumps of water, then switch to air and pump 4/5 times.. then wait about 30/60 seconds before continuing with the water.
    I find the balloon on the catheter blows up at about 6/7 pumps. so generally never go more than 5 pumps.
    Why are you using KY? the catheters are already lubed? Or are you reusing them till the the balloon bursts ?

If you were to inflate the balloon with 2 pumps and just wait, does the catheter still get pushed out?

I?d say 5 or so full pumps but entered gradually. Sometimes a few more gentle squeezes if the water is leaking around it. Water temp is 98, infused at 1 pump every couple of seconds but lately I?m having a hard time keeping the ballon in long enough to get much water in. Rectum and catheter are lubed with KY liquid. It seems like my rectum is contracting and pushing the fully inflated ballon out and doing so with enough force so that it pops if I try to hold it in.

I don't remember why... but when I put the catheter in I give 2 pumps of water, then switch to air and pump 4/5 times.. then wait about 30/60 seconds before continuing with the water.
    I find the balloon on the catheter blows up at about 6/7 pumps. so generally never go more than 5 pumps.
    Why are you using KY? the catheters are already lubed? Or are you reusing them till the the balloon bursts ?

If you were to inflate the balloon with 2 pumps and just wait, does the catheter still get pushed out?
    I?ll give your technique a try. Thanks! I?m using the KY to first see if there?s any stool in the rectum, which there very rarely is, and then to lubricate a catheter that I?m reusing.

Well, I’m at wit’s end with my Peristeen now. It worked really well for several months but now, no matter what I try (thanks for the suggestions to date) I still can’t get the balloon to seal even when I inflate it to the point of popping. The water won’t infuse well and after a short time my rectum seems to compress and force the balloon out.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a clinician(s) who is well-experienced with the Peristeen System? I live in Maine but I’d travel to connect with the right people.

Thanks!

Well, I’m at wit’s end with my Peristeen now. It worked really well for several months but now, no matter what I try (thanks for the suggestions to date) I still can’t get the balloon to seal even when I inflate it to the point of popping. The water won’t infuse well and after a short time my rectum seems to compress and force the balloon out.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a clinician(s) who is well-experienced with the Peristeen System? I live in Maine but I’d travel to connect with the right people.

Thanks!
    Try contacting Coloplast directly at 1-855-605-7594. But, be aware, you may have to be very persistent. I have found that they don't return calls or respond to emails very quickly. When I was trying to find information, I finally wrote a letter to Kim Herman, US President Chronic Care at the Coloplast USA Headquarters, 1601 West River Rd N, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Soon after I sent the letter, I received a phone call with help and answers to my questions.

Who did your initial training to get the Peristeen system in the first place?