Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Using Peristeen

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    The Peristeen comes in two parts.

1: Peristeen? anal irrigation system - http://www.coloplast.us/Peristeen-An...tem-en-us.aspx
    (the picture is a little misleading as it includes NO catheters.

2: Peristeen? Accessory Unit - http://www.coloplast.us/Peristeen-Accessory-Unit-en-us.aspx
    (the catheters)

Not a super experienced user, but I would say you could probably get a lot of catheter units to every system unit.
    If you're super careful at keeping the tubes clean and don't break the connecting clips, they are kind of delicate !!

Have you looked at alternatives?

I haven't gone that route yet, but intend to try.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...what-s-to-know

every alternative seems to have some very bad reviews!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post

Adding psyillium powder husks to my diet contributes greatly to my bowel program.
    Looking into Psyllium Husk Powder. If you don't mind my asking... Tablets or powder? How much, how often, and when?

I usually take it 2x/day. A slightly heaping teaspoon added to my Garden of Life Raw Meal smoothies.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    FYI
    How long do the peristeen catheters last ?

I wasn't going out of my way to try and make them last a super long time, was just using them and reusing them.
    I do my bowel program every other day.

Five Catheters lasted from September 20 till Feb 1. 134 days. so on average 13.4 uses per catheter.

Interestingly the water bag which is pressurized gave out once, so on my second water bag.

It seems to me that your supplies are lasting about the right amount of time. What does the company say is the normal life expectancy of the parts? That is generally a good guide.
    CKF

The company says the catheters are one time use !! That would be 67 catheters vs my 5.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It seems to me that your supplies are lasting about the right amount of time. What does the company say is the normal life expectancy of the parts? That is generally a good guide.
    CKF

I'm using around 600cc's, and sometime I do it twice, my bowel program is every other day.

I managed to get better at not over-inflating the balloon.. between 2 and 3 pumps, so the catheters last quite a long time.

so between
    September 20th 2015 -> October 27th 2017 768 days. I've used 11 catheters.... so nearly 70 days per catheter!
    or if I subtract the first 5 when I was figuring it out.
    February 1st 2016 -> October 27th 2017 634 days. I've used 6 catheters ... so nearly 106 days per catheter! at this rate I should be able to make 4 or less a year!

Interestingly the bags and the pump aren't as bullet proof as would first appear.
    on my second pump.
    The clips on the pump are so brittle they eventually break and no longer hold everything together, and the pump itself starts to fail!
    So be real gentle and baby those tube clips.

The bags were a bigger surprise, on my third bag.. the plastic gives out.
    like this until it can't hold pressure and just inflates like a balloon.
    Not sure what the options are for making the bags last longer !

FYI
    How long do the peristeen catheters last ?

I wasn't going out of my way to try and make them last a super long time, was just using them and reusing them.
    I do my bowel program every other day.

Five Catheters lasted from September 20 till Feb 1. 134 days. so on average 13.4 uses per catheter.

Interestingly the water bag which is pressurized gave out once, so on my second water bag.

I'm using around 600cc's, and sometime I do it twice, my bowel program is every other day.

I managed to get better at not over-inflating the balloon.. between 2 and 3 pumps, so the catheters last quite a long time.

so between
    September 20th 2015 -> October 27th 2017 768 days. I've used 11 catheters.... so nearly 70 days per catheter!
    February 1st 2016 -> October 27th 2017 634 days. I've used 6 catheters ... so nearly 106 days per catheter! at this rate I should be able to make 4 or less a year!

Interestingly the bags and the pump aren't as bullet proof as would first appear.
    on my second pump.
    The clips on the pump are so brittle they eventually break and no longer hold everything together, and the pump itself starts to fail!

Makes me glad that Coloplast never contacted me after leaving 2 telephone and 2 email messages. I found the poor man's Peristeen on line, Flowmaster. Nothing mechanical to it, just a little manual packet inflator for the catheter balloon, and a manual bulb pump for pumping water. Easy and works very well. http://www.optimalhealthnetwork.com/...master-3qt.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Apparently there's a way to remove the lid to change the bag but I can't find the instructions and I don't want to try it until I have extras. - I wonder if there's a way to connect that lid to a bottle instead or something. I wonder if it would work the same since it wouldn't be able to expand like the bags do under pressure.

I'll try it when I get a spare I guess!

so between

on my second pump.

the top just screws off the bag. simple thread.
    when you put it together you just have to be careful to make sure the straw/feeder tube stays attached to the cap/lid contraption.

interesting idea make a bottle that attaches to the cap/lid.

Quote Originally Posted by twistties View Post
    Apparently there's a way to remove the lid to change the bag but I can't find the instructions and I don't want to try it until I have extras. - I wonder if there's a way to connect that lid to a bottle instead or something. I wonder if it would work the same since it wouldn't be able to expand like the bags do under pressure.

I'll try it when I get a spare I guess!