Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Using Peristeen

Using Peristeen

I am new to this program. Having a few issues and wondering who else is using this. It is much better, faster, than the magic bullet. Only12 days in and wondering what other people are experiencing. Any issues, or problems. I am lower level L5-S1 para, with ability to walk.

I've been using it for about a year now. It's really been a game changer for me. My only real issue is getting it to stay in without holding it. I did have to figure out a good water temp and how fast to pump, but I'd guess that's different for everyone. Hope you get everything worked out. Welcome to the club .

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I've been using it for about a year now. It's really been a game changer for me. My only real issue is getting it to stay in without holding it. I did have to figure out a good water temp and how fast to pump, but I'd guess that's different for everyone. Hope you get everything worked out. Welcome to the club .
    I had a custom leg spreader made for me many years that I use when I'm on the throne. Essentially it's a piece of aluminum tubing with "C"-shaped ends. I situate this between the inside of my thighs so that I have total access to reach down, under and up. After I insert the rectal catheter and inflate it (2 full squeezes and then a drop more) I start filling my bowel. I gently hold the distal end of the catheter in place while filling my bowel to keep it from extruding. Until my sphincter completely relaxes, the inflated cuff may sometimes get pushed out. I deflate the cuff then "rinse and repeat." After my bowel is full I let my body take over. After about 5 minutes or so I begin alternating between doing digital stim and massaging/compressing my abdomen to accelerate the process.

I do my BP everyday and the consistency of my results -- not to mention the time saved (I'm usually done in 30 minutes) -- has never been better. I agree with Davey that the Peristeen is a game changer.

I am having same issue with catheter being pushed out. I have to hold in place. I did program every day for first 12 days and now trying every other day to see if that will be sufficient. Holding for no accidents. It has cut my time down to about a third of what was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I had a custom leg spreader made for me many years that I use when I'm on the throne. Essentially it's a piece of aluminum tubing with "C"-shaped ends. I situate this between the inside of my thighs so that I have total access to reach down, under and up. After I insert the rectal catheter and inflate it (2 full squeezes and then a drop more) I start filling my bowel. I gently hold the distal end of the catheter in place while filling my bowel to keep it from extruding. Until my sphincter completely relaxes, the inflated cuff may sometimes get pushed out. I deflate the cuff then "rinse and repeat." After my bowel is full I let my body take over. After about 5 minutes or so I begin alternating between doing digital stim and massaging/compressing my abdomen to accelerate the process.

I do my BP everyday and the consistency of my results -- not to mention the time saved (I'm usually done in 30 minutes) -- has never been better. I agree with Davey that the Peristeen is a game changer.
    I do my BP every other day. The time it takes is around 45 minutes, down from almost 2 hours a year ago.

Your custom leg spreader sounds interesting. I'm a lean-to-the-side kind of guy. I've been trying to figure out some type of handle that I could use to hold the catheter in place while I sit back to provide some back relief while filling. Haven't figured it out quite yet .

BTW, +1 for your use of "distal"

Trying to transition to every other day but having some issues. I feel like I am going to have an accident all day. Not sure if its just in my head or what is going on. I feel uncomfortable all day. Just wondering what others have experienced in trying to figure out how often. Also wondering if anyone using has had gallbladder removed. I use to do program every other day until gallbladder removal. Then had to do program every day. Wondering if this will be an issue.

Medic1, do you have a upper motor neuron (UMN) or lower motor neuron (LMN) bowel? This will make a difference in how often you do bowel care, and also in your ability to retain the balloon when using Peristeen.

(KLD)

I have only been told I have a nerugenic bowel. I don't have the ability to hold/stop myself from going. I do get bowel spasms at times. I always had to use a suppository for program. Just digital stim would not cause a movement.

You would have a LMN bowel normally at your level of injury (conus/cauda equina). This would be determined by doing a bulbocavernosus (BC) reflex test and seeing if you also have tone in your external anal sphincter. With a LMN bowel, you would generally have a flaccid (no tone) anal sphincter, and an absent BC reflex. With an UMN bowel, you would find a tight or spastic anal sphincter and usually a positive BC reflex.

Digital stimulation is appropriate only for those with an UMN bowel.

(KLD)

Thanks. I was supposed to receive follow up from a nurse but have not heard from anyone.