Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelchair suggestions. New in group

This site may be able to help you out. They don't list the Barbus cabrio version of the Smart, but do have some of the others listed. http://www.rica.org.uk/carfilter
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Baldfatdad asked a lot of questions that would help in giving direction. Go out to YouTube and look at some people transferring into cars; you will see people transferring in with rigid chairs. We don't know the extent of your injury yet, but if a chair is your sole source of getting around, a rigid is generally a superior choice.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I have used rigid wheelchairs since 1992, and I have never had much of a problem loading them into the front or backseats, or trunks of any car. (Honda Civics (1996-2007), Kia Soul, Toyota Corolla, Dodge Caravan, Chrysler LeBaron, Toyota Tundra, and several other cars I've ridden in as a passenger.)

Once you remove the quick-release rear wheels and fold down the seat back, most rigids will fit in most cars. Folding chairs are heavy, bulky, and actually require more space when transferred in one piece. A good rigid wheelchair frame can last a lifetime. A folding frame probably won't. Folders have their place but not for people like me. (T11-12 SCI)
    Last edited by ala; 04-08-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: wrong word