Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invacare dual rim one arm drive

Invacare dual rim one arm drive

Hi,

Has anyone used this? Invacare won't obtain the one arm drive system for me to view/test in Australia before purchasing. I have used dual rim systems for many years and need to know how efficient and sturdy the connection of the axle to the wheel is.

The company doesn't show a lot of confidence in their product by not allowing a hands-on test, but hey, it just might be better than ones I've seen.

Something is wrong with the image uploader so please view https://www.dropbox.com/s/88y677pyt9rlmaw/OAD.jpg?dl=0

Invacare ... GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!!!

On that particular model, it is very good!!

I work for a wheelchair service and we've had some good success with it. It's the only one we use though so I can't comment on how it compares to other makes.

There is some 'play' in it, so the first little bit of movement on the inner ring will just be to take up the play before you start to move the opposite wheel, but I can't see how any manufacturer could do it any better on a folding chair.

When you say there's play, is it spongy as the bar flexes when force is put on it, or movement of the contact point until it engages on the hub?

What is the distance of the play before it propels the chair?

There is about a quarter of an inch to a half play before handrims fully engage.

How is the left rim connected to the right side push-ring?

the wheels are connected via a removable axle. this picture shows it in place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brihxmboij225h7/OAD2.png?dl=0

The play is either within the bar itself flexing, or at the points where the axle fits to the wheel's axle.

jakeyboy1, where is the play in this system?

The play is in the contact points in this system.

It has a spring loaded bar/axle to join the wheels to each other so there is a contact point on the left, right and in the middle where the two parts of the crossbar join each other. I don't think the bar itself flexes and adds extra play. I'd say it takes about 1/2" of handrim movement before the opposite wheel is fully engaged.

My husband demo'd Nomads's a few years ago. It's a shame they seem to have stopped, because they seemed to be well made. He struggled with coordinating them, but I do think he might have managed them over time. Just out of curiosity, what condition do you have that you are seeking OAD's? Please post back what you find, because I'm always curious about them.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Nomads looked good but I use a folding chair. I've used the system on this page on my last 3 chairs. The version is "Teleskopic axle with cardan"

http://www.mobilex.dk/side10208-pare...typesId-3.html

That shaft sounds like the sane as
    description. The standard shaft has a large amount of spongy play with flex within the bar.

I have also used concertina versions but they give very poor performance.

Faethe, do you have the device? Are you able to provide detailed photos of the axle and contact points on it and the wheel's axle?