Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cushion Ideas?

New Cushion Ideas?

Had tri-foam from age 13-15 and ended up with tailbone pressure sore that required flap surgery.

Jay Active cushion since then (30yrs total paralyzed) ... they don't make them anymore.

I need something new. Maybe lighter? Dealing with a wound now and will hopefully be getting a new back rest to help. Pelvic tilt sit .. in my opinion.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I use Supracor Stimuliie Sport. I doubt that for you. Long before that though, I did use Supracor Stimulite Contoured. It would corm to how you are sitting as well as was built with a raised center that spread legs slightly. I think though with any of the Stimulite, your posture is very critical when the cu"shion is new and you are breaking it in. If your posture is incorrect, you could end up "forming" the cushion to the incorrect. I was never able to change once broken in. I do not think it allows that. Never had sores on the Contoured. The Sport, one in a while I do get sore. Pretty sure that a result of sloppy posture.

We may look into the Vicair Adjuster. I've heard others say good things about them, and the adjustability and light weight looks nice. http://en.vicair.com/seat-cushions/academy/adjuster.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I'm also looking at buying cushion. I need a back so this is coming out of my pocket.

Anyone have experience with a Jay Fusion or varilite Evolution? Lynnifer, have you looked at either of those?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I use the Varilite ProForm NX Cushion. I like it has 2 air chambers in the rear for lateral positioning with a foam front for stable transferring. It also has various positioning wedges for inder the knee. Light and durable.

My husband currently has the Varilite Evolution. Overall it is made well and is very light weight. The PSV valve is not as strong as we would like, and we have had to replace it. The valve also sticks out a bit far and I think that causes it extra abuse.

We like that we can increase/decrease air easily. He uses it with lower air when foot propelling. It is getting a bit compressed on the front foam on one side, because my husband foot propels with one foot. That is one of the reasons we are looking into the the Vicar Adjuster, because we could set that side a little lower.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have a Comfort Company cushion, and a regular foam cushion for another chair. The CC cushion is much thicker foam with some contour. Feels very nice and keeps me in position; also, I don't have as much pressure / pain at the end of the day with the CC as I do with the regular foam.

CC has a website and a cool little "choose your own cushion by diagnostic information" cushion finder. It says it's for providers to pick from, for their clients, but it works just fine for me. I poked some buttons that I thought would be true for you and it came up with some choices, including ones that seem like they could be contoured for proper pelvic positioning.

For a back support I have a Matrx Elite (Invacare) on this chair. I have Cerebral Palsy, Scoliosis (mild), and some back issues too complex to specify / fully understand and this back support feels so much better than any 'standard issue softer back' like a tension by straps or just the canvas between seat posts. I can do a back like that for a few hours, but I know the difference. I have the mild contour of the Matrx Elite for now, 16 x 18. If you follow the breadcrumbs for categories, Invacare also has other backs listed...don't know if they are of interest to you.

The other thing I've learned, is always try to demo the cushions/backs before you use them...preferably for a couple of days at least, to give you that idea of "will it hurt me after several hours?" That's what I need to do anyway, if I can. I won't make a "big purchase" without doing that.

Let us know what you find!
    Mystery

I use a Ride Design Custom Cushion and love it. The upside is that your ischials are completely suspended and don't touch the cushion. The downside is that it feels very hard and initially is scary to sit on and it is quite high and can be difficult to transfer onto due to height and rigidity. The fitting is critical, the evaluator makes a mold of your butt, this is sent to Colorado where the cushion is fabricated, the evaluator pressure maps you on the cushion, does some cutting and trimming to optimize fit - a time consuming process but well worth it for me.

lynnifer,

Regarding "... Jay Active cushion ... don't make them anymore ... Dealing with a wound now ..." - in general, the Stimulite models (even models with the XS option) would not be recommended for someone with an extant wound and who is accustomed to the softer Jay gel type cushions.

The Jay Active cushion manufacturer is presently offering the Jay X2 cushion as the replacement for the Jay Active. In addition to the cushion thicknesses being a bit different (2.25 inches compared to the Jay Active's 2.5 inches) there are other differences - some of which are referenced on the Wheelchair Cushion Sage website. Your success with the Jay Active suggests that the surface on which the cushion is placed is not a flat surface - the Jay Active exhibits a sling bottom (i.e., a curved bottom). Unlike the Jay Active, the Jay X2's bottom surface is not curved. You will want to consider the bottom shape when you select your new cushion. Other than the now discontinued Jay Active cushion (discontinued in Jun 2014), there are at least two other Jay gel cushions - the Jay Easy and the Jay Care gel cushion - exhibiting a structure capable of accommodating either a flat or curved seat surface. The softness of the Jay Care cushion is comparable to your Jay Active cushion, but the Jay Care cushion does not have a foam base structure.

In addition to being malleable to accommodate both flat and curved seat surfaces, valved (e.g., Star Stabil-Air cushion) and non-valved (e.g., Vicair Adjuster X cushion) air type cushions will generally be lighter than their gel type counterparts. These types of air cushions do; however, make the manual transfer process a bit more difficult than one would experience with the Jay Active with which you are already familiar. Some people find it easier to right themselves on a valved air cushion than on a non-valved air cushion (for example, after leaning sideways to pick-up something on the floor).
    Last edited by WC_Sage; 03-30-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added Jay Easy Reference - The Jay Easy Also Accomodates Sling Seats

Consider a Roho, especially if you are dealing with a pressure sore.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/