Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TiLite ZR2 - Round Betty

Wheel lock mounts

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Hi Rob, At the time I ordered my frame there was no additional charge for the custom taper. That may or may not be the case today -- the only way to find out is to submit an order form and see what the quote returns. As for the welded wheel lock receivers, the most current MSRP from TiLite was $1075.12. We (Bike-On) would discount that by 30% or so.

If you're buying your next chair out of pocket -- and judging from recent threads on this forum it's rare to find an insurance carrier who will pay for a titanium frame wheelchair -- please consider me (Bike-On). You can email me at stephen@bike-on.com if you'd like to explore this further.
    I like those wheel lock mounts. Are they only for scissors locks? How do you request that on the order form or is that a part of Designs Unlimited?

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    I like those wheel lock mounts. Are they only for scissors locks? How do you request that on the order form or is that a part of Designs Unlimited?

Ti
    The mounts are called WELDED WHEEL LOCK RECEIVERS (or the Feldman wheel locks -- they're associated with me, apparently). I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible with any of the locks that have a post for fore/aft positioning.
    They're not on the order form and it's not in Designs Unlimited, which TiLite has retired (the process has changed). When I submit an order form and request a quote, I'll add a note to include certain off-the-menu custom features such as these welded mount receivers, calf strap loops, etc.
    Last edited by stephen212; 05-29-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Stephen- How has your enthusiasm for theZR you bought in 2015 held up? Are you pleased with the backrest?

I have been pleased with my brush finish tilites over the years,- they are easy to spiff up again and the high gloss finish you got looks as though it would scratch. Does it?

Anything you would do differently?

I am about to get a new one (the measurements on my old one were not right) and some of the features of yours are intriguing.

Tetra

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Stephen- How has your enthusiasm for theZR you bought in 2015 held up? Are you pleased with the backrest?

I have been pleased with my brush finish tilites over the years,- they are easy to spiff up again and the high gloss finish you got looks as though it would scratch. Does it?

Anything you would do differently?

I am about to get a new one (the measurements on my old one were not right) and some of the features of yours are intriguing.

Tetra
    Tetra,
    In addition to my ZR I also have a virtually identically configured TR, which has become my daily chair. (Not necessarily because I prefer it over the ZR but just because.) The polished finish dulls ever so slightly over time but otherwise has held up very nicely. Both chairs are dialed in perfectly for me so were one lost, stolen, or damaged (by an airline, say), I would order an exact replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

Ti
    Designs Unlimited is now Creative Mobility Division (CMD).

https://permobilus.com/wp-content/up...y-Division.pdf

Designs Unlimited is now Creative Mobility Division (CMD).

https://permobilus.com/wp-content/up...y-Division.pdf
    Nice to see they have kept the custom dept, and actually added a few things. Now if they can just "turn the corner" so to speak and get back to better customer service. They could be a great company again.

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    Nice to see they have kept the custom dept, and actually added a few things. Now if they can just "turn the corner" so to speak and get back to better customer service. They could be a great company again.
    What aspect(s) of their customer support, specifically, do you feel needs improvement? Working with a big company like Permobil can be more challenging and frustrating than dealing with a small shop, I think they're genuinely committed to improving all facets of their operation. If you've had an issue with TiLite support, you should let them know. (There's one small wheelchair manufacturer -- makes very nice stuff -- who's notorious for never answering the phone and leaving customers' needs un-responded to. Small size doesn't necessarily assure greater responsiveness. I'm not referring to Oracing, whom I've mentioned in a previous post who left some of our Bike-On customers in the lurch, which is why we no longer carry them.)

Blog Entries
    I didn't think TiLite did direct customer service? IMO, while I might think that's a crappy business model, for the consumer, it seems to serve their business well. Your level of service is going largely depend on who your dealer is. Some used car salesman type at NuMotion vs a more personal service from someone like stephen212 is probably light years apparent in terms of service quality.

One of my biggest gripes is that as their business scaled, it seemed like prices went up. E.g. they have a large fabrication system and process that doesn't seem terribly flexible for those "custom touches", while still being economical for us. A small shop like HoC is able to hand make an entire frame for ~40% more than TiLite decided to charge for only Feldman lock mounts. That seems like the opposite of what should happen in a business as it scales: customers should benefit from it rather than have to pay more because the operation is too big to be agile in meeting customers needs.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I didn't think TiLite did direct customer service? IMO, while I might think that's a crappy business model, for the consumer, it seems to serve their business well. Your level of service is going largely depend on who your dealer is. Some used car salesman type at NuMotion vs a more personal service from someone like stephen212 is probably light years apparent in terms of service quality.

One of my biggest gripes is that as their business scaled, it seemed like prices went up. E.g. they have a large fabrication system and process that doesn't seem terribly flexible for those "custom touches", while still being economical for us. A small shop like HoC is able to hand make an entire frame for ~40% more than TiLite decided to charge for only Feldman lock mounts. That seems like the opposite of what should happen in a business as it scales: customers should benefit from it rather than have to pay more because the operation is too big to be agile in meeting customers needs.
    Don't disagree with anything you wrote. What wheelchair manufacturer does *direct* customer service?

Blog Entries
    The little guys. HoC. Per4max. Lasher. Et al.

"Scaling up" in this industry seems to serve the businesses, but not us.

Another industry gripe:

When a manufacturer prices a 'standard' complete chair (meaning a functional chair with only the no-charge options), each of the "standard" components has a cost that's baked into the base price.

When I want to upgrade, say, my casters to aluminum soft rolls, they're priced retail. So, we're paying the baked in cost of the standard option, PLUS the cost of the upgrade. Same thing for wheels, or anything. Replacing an adjustable backrest bracket with a single piece of welded aluminum stock should first remove the baked in cost of the adjustable mount, then add back in the cost of the welding. Etc, etc, etc.

Seems like a raw deal. Better to go full stock, then buy the upgrades separately, since at least then you're getting everything you're actually paying for.

(Had a tussle over asking for the inclusion of the no charge upholstery when I was also ordering a rigid back. Took some arm twisting. But, thinking about it more, and looking at upgrade prices, they don't seem discounted at all with a "core charge" for the item being replaced. That's price gouging IMO, or "highway robbery", at least )

Amiright?!?! Or, is there a hidden "core rebate" we never see already accounted for in the pricing? Inquiring mind wants to know!

edit: IF my hypothesis is correct, we should insist on receiving the standard items, uninstalled, along with the upgraded ones. Not to mention, spares are good things to have.

Don't disagree with anything you wrote. What wheelchair manufacturer does *direct* customer service?
    Last edited by Oddity; 05-31-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments