Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: List of Lifestyle Improvements for Quadriplegics..

  1. #1

    List of Lifestyle Improvements for Quadriplegics..

    List of Lifestyle Improvements for Quadriplegics

    I've been a quadriplegic for *cough* *cough* about 20 years now and have learned some things over the years.
    Here are some things that have made life better for me.

    A desktop computer using a Headmaster in combination with a USB headset. Then Dragon naturally speaking for the software part of it.

    Additional Info for Headmaster can be found here http://www.prentrom.com/

    I use a Plantronics headset and would need to find the model number

    Dragon NaturallySpeaking premium, although the home version maybe suitable for most
    http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm

    VoIP Phone. I have a soft phone software program on my desktop and can make and receive calls. There's a lot of them out there, I just use a low end carrier at $10 a month. I can get the details also of the carrier I use.

    Camelbak system (I have it on my wheelchair and that allows me to drink as much as I want)
    http://www.camelbak.com/

    Soccer Gloves. (I have found that wearing soccer gloves keeps my fingers straight and don't have any pain. I would have some pain if the gloves were off). I have to get the make and model if people are interested.

    Hand/wrist splint. (Just recently well for a while. My right wrist had been kind of twisted. So I purchased a hand/wrist splint and that seems to have helped quite a bit.. I no longer have to worry about my wrist being twisted)

    Cranberry Pills. (I have found that cranberry pills will differently help your urine be more clear and less prone to infections).

    MiraLAX. I found this to be a game changer when it comes to bowl care.

    Buying a van and conversion costs.
    If you are thinking of buying a van. I would check with your county and see if there are funds for the conversion part of it. As I know we bought a van and they paid for those costs..


    I quickly wrote up this guide and tried to make it easy for any person new. Hopefully some people find some of my suggestions helpful. If any questions feel free to contact me.
    Regards,
    Brian
    Last edited by MagikLair; 03-29-2015 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Adding another thing
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    1,061
    Good stuff Brian, thanks!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    Good stuff Brian, thanks!
    Sure, hopefully my post will help one person have a better life. I know, we had an older van 1992 Ford Econoline and bought a new Toyota van. Talk about night and day. We just didn't know how bad are old Van was
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

  4. #4
    MagikLair:
    Are you saying the county you live in paid for van modifications? Please explain. Could you be referring to state vocational rehabilitation program rather than a county program?
    If it is county, what type of program was it?
    Thanks for your post!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    MagikLair:
    Are you saying the county you live in paid for van modifications? Please explain. Could you be referring to state vocational rehabilitation program rather than a county program?
    If it is county, what type of program was it?
    Thanks for your post!
    To be honest I'm not quite sure. I think we contacted public health as on Medicare/Prime West. She looked to see what there was for funds and put in a request for funds for the conversion process. So best if you talk with public health. I'm also living in Minnesota.. Hopefully that is of some help

    Regards,
    Brian
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikLair View Post
    List of Lifestyle Improvements for Quadriplegics

    MiraLAX. I found this to be a game changer when it comes to bowl care.
    Pretty great list, Brian. Thank you.

    Can you expand a little more on the Miralax? What were you doing before? Miraqlax faster and less stim? I'm in!

    Perhaps sci-nurse could chime in on this, but on the Miralax website, they have a chart showing the mechanisms how different b/m aides work. What's the difference between Philips MOM and miralax?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikLair View Post
    To be honest I'm not quite sure. I think we contacted public health as on Medicare/Prime West. She looked to see what there was for funds and put in a request for funds for the conversion process. So best if you talk with public health. I'm also living in Minnesota.. Hopefully that is of some help

    Regards,
    Brian
    Thanks for response!
    I already drive a modified van, but was very interested in this information for others who may need it. The cost of van modifications is prohibitive for many folks. It's great you could get this help.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    Pretty great list, Brian. Thank you.

    Can you expand a little more on the Miralax? What were you doing before? Miraqlax faster and less stim? I'm in!

    Perhaps sci-nurse could chime in on this, but on the Miralax website, they have a chart showing the mechanisms how different b/m aides work. What's the difference between Philips MOM and miralax?
    As for MiraLAX, it seems to make things go quicker. I don't use stim, so cannot comment on if less stim. I take some MiraLAX and milk the night before. It seems to work for me. I'm not familiar with Phillips MOM.. So don't know what the difference would be. Yes perhaps SCI nurse who would chime in.

    Regards,
    Brian
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Thanks for response!
    I already drive a modified van, but was very interested in this information for others who may need it. The cost of van modifications is prohibitive for many folks. It's great you could get this help.
    Sure, yes it is pretty costly depending on what all needs to be done. There are also some mobility cash reimbursements offered by manufacturers. Toyota is one of them. Up to $1000 cash reimbursement. http://lovingtoyota.com/Toyota-Mobility/
    regards,
    Brian
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Similar Threads

  1. New lifestyle new wheelchair
    By Mutley in forum Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM
  2. lifestyle
    By aton in forum Life
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM
  3. New improvements
    By XYNaPSE in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM
  4. My IMPROVEMENTS!
    By tigger74 in forum Life
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-02-2002, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •