Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to keep in a Foley if you are a woman?

How long to keep in a Foley if you are a woman?

What is the new position on how long you can keep in a Foley Catheter before you change it; if you are a woman? It seems there are differing opinions regarding this by physicians and nurses.

I received one answer so far: "It looks like people with long-term catheter needs have them changed every month."

Just as long as the area where the Foley is inserted is cleaned daily with soap and water.

Thoughts on this?

I'm a guy with a SP so I don't know if this helps but we change it every month. Wash the stoma area morning and night and when we change it we use sterile procedure and kit.

P.S. I've had it for 25 years
    ^^(A)^^

Anywhere up to 8 weeks has worked for me, with twice daily washes including liberal use of Vetericyn/ Hydrocleanse spray.

it all depends on your risk of infection and anatomy. the trauma to an urethra occurs over time no matter how often you change it. Some people need it changed once a month, some need it change every 2 months. some people develop additional deposits around the catheter the longer it stays in place. you may want to consider a suprapubic in the future. Discuss this with your urologist.

pbr

Does the length of time the catheter is in place depend upon the number of infections?

Also, one physician said that if a woman is menopausal, then that will require the Foley to be replaced more often. Does that make sense to you?

Wen i was using a foley before my conduit surgery mine was changed monthly. I used them for about a year before the surgery.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Hi, whenever I had an indwelling cath, it really varied... for me it was 3-4 weeks, depending on how concentrated my urine was (sediments, colour etc), since I was paranoid about it getting blocked or restricted, and potentially cause urine to not drain fully, thus leading to bacteria and UTIs.

I'm not female, but on a whim, if anything, being menopausal surely means you'd be less prone to UTI (no menstrual discharge etc), as the area would be cleaner - unless I'm missing something, purely guessing. Especially given that the urethra and vagina are separate areas. Ofcourse try and stick to keeping the area clean, wiping AWAY from the urethra, as you want to avoid spreading any potential bacteria etc, don't forget, making sure to change the tissue, or fold it to a clean area with every couple strokes.

I'll be honest, I only ever cleaned my area once a day, as I would get sore if I overdone it. one MAJOR factor which made me change it often (3-4 weeks) because the catheter would SERIOUSLY get discoloured, and that alone told me it was time to change.

well everyone is different. I'm guessing based on that advice you received that fluctuating hormones are problematic to UTIs. Any menopausal woman is prone to UTIs in general.

The general rule of thumb is to change your catheter once a month. If you are prone to UTIs always get a urine culture and sensitivity and keep track of what kind of bacteria grows. Some people are more prone to infections based on cleanliness, chemical balances in your body, etc.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by taymas View Post
    I'm not female, but on a whim, if anything, being menopausal surely means you'd be less prone to UTI (no menstrual discharge etc), as the area would be cleaner - unless I'm missing something, purely guessing.
    Best guess as to what they meant? I'm with SCI Nurse on the fluctuating hormones, after menopause (lack of estrogen) tissues get thinner and more fragile - I could see how this could lead to more UTIs. But at the same time, cleaning would be easier without the monthly periods and I would imagine that would reduce UTIs. Who knows.