Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing to Night Bag for Foley

Changing to Night Bag for Foley

I have a question regarding whether changing to a night bag is better or worse for you in terms of bringing on an infection?

Say your leg bag is sufficient in holding urine for sleep, do you really need to switch out to a night bag? It appears that you are increasing your risk of getting a UTI every time you change out the connection.

Is this the case or am I wrong?

If your leg bag is sufficient then you do not need to i suppose if you can hang the bag somewhere on the bed. In my case i always drain more at night so my leg bag is not enough
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I think you will have to make sure the bag stays lower than your bladder, or you could drain urine back into you.

Quote Originally Posted by Califanna View Post
    I have a question regarding whether changing to a night bag is better or worse for you in terms of bringing on an infection?

Say your leg bag is sufficient in holding urine for sleep, do you really need to switch out to a night bag? It appears that you are increasing your risk of getting a UTI every time you change out the connection.

Is this the case or am I wrong?
    If the drain bag you are using for day time is sufficient to hold the urine output at night, and you don't open the system except to drain, you are maintaining a closed drain system and current wisdom indicates a closed drainage system has less chance of contamination than one that you disconnect and clean.

All the best,
    GJ

I don't know if this is considered correct procedure, but I've always done it. I have an indwelling catheter, but hate having to deal with tubes and bags at night, when I need to roll over in bed. So, I just use a flip flow valve at night, and wear a Depend pad in case of leakage. I feel much more comfortable not having tubes connected at night, then when I wake in the morning, I empty my bladder using the flip flow valve. After a shower, I then connect a leg bag, and I'm ready to face the day.

I also think it does my bladder good, as it allows some urine to stay in at night, so it's not always in that constantly empty situation.

I may have a nurse tell me I'm doing it all wrong, but it seems to work for me.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Gravity won't work with leg bag when lying down. Connect to overnight bag and open valve on leg bag to avoid reflux.

Bag or bottle must be below bladder.

Califanna - bedside bags are designed to hold more urine for overnight output/diuresis that occurs at that time. What is your current incident of UTIs? and what is your current overnight urine output? You can give it a try but monitor your output and change out bags routinely to prevent UTIs.

Janne- not all people with SCI can manage that type of bladder management such as you described.

Everyone with a SCI should have routine bladder/kidney US performed to know the condition of their bladder and kidney. The goal is to always protect the kidneys and prevent hydronephrosis,is fluid around the kidneys and can damage function. Too high of pressures or inadequate bladder emptying can cause hydronephrosis.

pbr

Dear SCI Nurse, thankyou for your comment on my bladder management at night.

By using this method, am I doing any harm to myself? Is there a limit to the amount of urine I should have in my bladder overnight? When I empty my bladder in the morning, I usually have about 750 ml.

I have used this method for 15 years, with no adverse affects, and just have the occasional UTI.

I have an annual bladder ultrasound and kidney x ray, which is reviewed by my doctor.

Thankyou for any advice you feel could benefit me.

I was told when i was cathing not to ever let it exceed 400-500 max between cath's. Which depending on what and how much i drank would be every 4-6 hours at max. If i drank any coffee or alcholic beverage i would fill up faster and therefor need to cath sooner usually every 2-3 hours. This is again what i was told not necessarily what is correct. It may be different in your situation.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

[QUOTE=SCI-Nurse;1763980]Califanna - bedside bags are designed to hold more urine for overnight output/diuresis that occurs at that time. What is your current incident of UTIs? and what is your current overnight urine output? You can give it a try but monitor your output and change out bags routinely to prevent UTIs.

Even at night, the amount of urine is less than 450. However, the incidence of UTIs is low, no more than once a year. One nurse said that if you can avoid changing out bags, then you will cut down on UTIs.

The suggestion was that even with cleaning out night bags with vinegar, you can still run risk from reflux (as Zagam suggested) in that the bag never completely gets clean and bacteria will grow in the bag and tubing.

So it is confusing on whether to change to night bag or not. Leg bag has long enough tubing to sit alongside bed and it does appear to be collecting urine overnight.