Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding COG

Finding COG

What do most quads run COG wise?

I believe mine is 2.5". But I am not sure what being a quad has to do with determining COG.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Blog Entries
    What is COG?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

I believe CoG is dependent on body shape, weight, and specific chair configuration.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    What is COG?
    "Center of Gravity" on wheelchairs is actually the axle position, which changes how tippy your chair is. Cog is the horizontal distance from the front of the backrest canes to the centerline of the axle.

Name:  CoG.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  29.3 KB
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

What chasmengr wrote is true. COG, center of gravity, derives from the wheelchair and wheelchair user interacting. It is usually changed by moving the rear wheels forward or backward on the wheelchair frame. It affects the amount of force that can be exerted without tipping over backward and how easy it is to pop up the front wheels to go over raised thresholds, etc. The seatback angle and dump can also affect the COG. Those are the basics.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Just wondering what others liked. Mine is at 2" and I run about a 4 inch dump. Carrying over my current configuration to a non adjustable chair is a little nerve racking as it probably will not be the same.

What chair are you considering? Some nonadjustable chairs still have an adjustable CoG (e.g., TiLite TR). Others do not.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    But I am not sure what being a quad has to do with determining COG.
    Southpaw does have a point. Most quads have a much lower upper body mass than most paras. That can certainly affect how tippy a chair is.

OP--The Center Of Gravity on any wheelchair is highly subjective to its configuration and the user. That's why almost every chair manufactured is designed to have at least some range of COG adjustment. Even TiLite's minimally adjustable ZR has a small amount of adjustment between the camber clamp and CG bracket, even if it is just a few holes. A person's needs may change over time depending on changes in posture, weight, or even very heavy clothing, like a bulky leather jacket. That's why I would never purchase a chair with the COG welded in place (not that you would).

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    The Center Of Gravity on any wheelchair is highly subjective to its configuration and the user.
    Agreed.

That said, I'd guess most quads have COG set somewhere between 1.0-3.5"