Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Power Steering

Electronic Power Steering

I have zero effort steering for my Chrysler with rack and pinion. Toyota has EPS instead of Rack n Pinion. Are they able to reduce EPS to zero effort? If so, is it expensive?

Thanks,

Ron

I don't know about Toyotas (we're a European shop www.philscars.com) but on VW and Audi with electronic power steering, we can adjust the effort up or down with our VAG diagnostic tool.
    I don't know how low-effort it can be reset to. (someday I should stick my 06 GTI on it and find out)
    I expect there is a high likelihood that Toyotas can be reset as well (I'm assuming EPS means Electronic Power Steering and also expect you DO have rack & pinion)

Hi ronk, I posted about a company that does the mods for the Toyota

http://www.abilisteer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyy View Post
    Hi ronk, I posted about a company that does the mods for the Toyota

http://www.abilisteer.com/

Funny or not they say no back up steering system required.

The back up steering is to enable you to still steer if there is a problem with the primary hydraulic system.

So if and or when there is a problem with this system there is no back up and you will not be able to steer the van?
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Original equipment electronic power steering units have no "back-up" other than the existing manual gearing.
    On the website, they show what looks like the OE electronic power steering unit.
    I would guess they re-program it to be much more sensitive to steering (torque) inputs.

"With no pumps to install, hoses to run or power steering racks to modify, your reduced effort steering vehicle can be modified in a fraction the time as a standard system."

I'm not familiar with this system, but the servo-motor setup is similar to European stuff; looks like this is a pass-through type of device whereby it is inserted between the steering column and the steering gear.
    If so, it has interesting possibilities for other DIY applications.
    steeing-motor.jpg
    Last edited by pfcs49; 03-29-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Original equipment electronic power steering units have no "back-up" other than the existing manual gearing.
    On the website, they show what looks like the OE electronic power steering unit.
    I would guess they re-program it to be much more sensitive to steering (torque) inputs.

"With no pumps to install, hoses to run or power steering racks to modify, your reduced effort steering vehicle can be modified in a fraction the time as a standard system."

I'm not familiar with this system, but the servo-motor setup is similar to European stuff; looks like this is a pass-through type of device whereby it is inserted between the steering column and the steering gear.
    If so, it has interesting possibilities for other DIY applications.
    steeing-motor.jpg

the back up is so you would continue to have reduced or zero effort steering even with a power steering problem and or a loss of engine power.

with electric steering and no back up you would not be able to steer if there was a problem.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Has anyone heard of power steering actually failing? And I think with electric...who cares if the engine is running? Gotta check my Challenger sometime to see if the electric steering works with the engine off (might be a bit with winter storage and all)

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    the back up is so you would continue to have reduced or zero effort steering even with a power steering problem and or a loss of engine power.

with electric steering and no back up you would not be able to steer if there was a problem.
    Electric assisted power steering is hugely more reliable than hydraulic!
    There's no drive belt to slip or break; no fluid to leak out.
    And, it's sensored and monitored by digital logic that can spot developing problems.
    During the $4/gal premium era a couple years ago, I did a lot of coasting (the first mile from my house is seriously downhill).
    Once underway, I'd put the car in neutral, turn off the ignition, then turn it back to the "run" position.
    The power steering works, (even with the key off, but with it off, your fuel consumption isn't calculated) until the car is nearly stopped (at about the speed the power locks switch). I think the steering column lock stays disarmed as well, but am not stupid enough to turn the wheel and find out!
    The only admonition: you can't use the brakes more than four or five times; every time you do, you dump a little more of the vacuum stored in the booster (and not restored by running engine vacuum) and the pedal effort rises until reaching an unacceptable level.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 03-30-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Has anyone heard of power steering actually failing? And I think with electric...who cares if the engine is running? Gotta check my Challenger sometime to see if the electric steering works with the engine off (might be a bit with winter storage and all)

Yes with hydraulic no for electric (then again they have only been in mini vans since 2011)

If you need a steering modification to drive we are required to install a back up.
    in theory enabling someone to continue to be able to control the steering in the event of a primary system problem.

For me the same would apply to electric steering.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Electric assisted power steering is hugely more reliable than hydraulic!
    There's no drive belt to slip or break; no fluid to leak out.
    And, it's sensored and monitored by digital logic that can spot developing problems.
    During the $4/gal premium era a couple years ago, I did a lot of coasting (the first mile from my house is seriously downhill).
    Once underway, I'd put the car in neutral, turn off the ignition, then turn it back to the "run" position.
    The power steering works, (even with the key off, but with it off, your fuel consumption isn't calculated) until the car is nearly stopped (at about the speed the power locks switch). I think the steering column lock stays disarmed as well, but am not stupid enough to turn the wheel and find out!
    The only admonition: you can't use the brakes more than four or five times; every time you do, you dump a little more of the vacuum stored in the booster (and not restored by running engine vacuum) and the pedal effort rises until reaching an unacceptable level.
    Time will tell how well a modified electric steering system will hold up in mini vans.

fwiw: Vehicles with brake modifications have backup's for the brakes too.
    Last edited by Automotive Innovations; 03-30-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA