Thread: Washington DC, hotels

Question Washington DC, hotels

Planning our 50th anniversary in DC. Trying to decide between The Lombardy and the Crowne Plaza Hamilton. Any experiences to share? Suggestions for travel, visiting there? Going to try SCI_OTR's "packing" the chair if I can find the thread. Thanks!

Depends on whats your fancy. DC got a lot of museums to visit, and also various "wheelchair friendly" trails to roll around on. Either hotel you pick is gonna be very nice! Exceptional restaurants throughout the city. If your hubby is a baseball fan, the Nats stadium in SE is very HC friendly, as is The Verizon Center for the Caps and Wizards games. Same goes for the soccer stadium (RFK). The metro is OK for gimp travel, but please do the research first. The rush hours are insane, and not recommended for use during these time frames.
    Morning Rush hours: 0600 - 1000
    Evening Rush hours: 1500 - 1800

The cab service is good, the busses are NOT. If you can hire a private company to travel, that would be best for travelling the city. If you are driving, visit the Chesapeake Bay...good eating, fishing and very beautiful. Baltimore Inner Harbor is a fun day, the National Aquarium and the Constitution reside there. Plenty of spots to go fishing I the entire DC area if that's your fancy. If you're into shooting sports, the NRA Museum is 45 minutes away in Fairfax, with shooting lanes. There are plenty of historical battlefields in the area, dating to the American Revolution. Richmond is an hour and half drive down 95. If you want to have a day of seeing absolutely nothing happen, go visit the Congress and Senate....will guarantee no action there!
    the Smithsonian, Newseum, and the USGS Center in Reston, Va are awesome!

If you are planning to arrive in the next couple weeks, the Cherry Blossom Festival will be in full bloom along the Tidal Basin. And so will the crowds, but still a very time to visit the city.

Wow! Thanks, graybeard, for all of this good advice! We'll be going later in May, and are interested in monuments and museums, perhaps Zoological Park, Botanic Garden, National Cathedral to name a few. Afraid we won't be able to fit it all in. We are only there for 4 nights. Tried to change flight to stay another day and they wanted $250 EACH to do that! Ridiculous!
    Interesting about buses. We were hoping to use public trans. including buses and metro.

DC in May

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Wow! Thanks, graybeard, for all of this good advice! We'll be going later in May, and are interested in monuments and museums, perhaps Zoological Park, Botanic Garden, National Cathedral to name a few. Afraid we won't be able to fit it all in. We are only there for 4 nights. Tried to change flight to stay another day and they wanted $250 EACH to do that! Ridiculous!
    Interesting about buses. We were hoping to use public trans. including buses and metro.
    DC is also a great place to wheel around. Curb cuts just about everywhere, very safe, lots of fun people watching. I really like the Kimpton Hotels which are mostly up in the DuPont Circle area.

Blog Entries
    I spend a week at the Mayflower hotel every February/early March. I prefer it to the Lombardy, for sure, which had a really high bed in the room I had, years ago. I grew up just a few hours from DC, lived in historic Alexandria for a bit (where many of my extended family members still reside), and have never had any access issues that come to mind. Even the older structures have nearly all been made accessible. Shameless plug: my family owns a brewery in Alexandria, Port City Brewing, Co. If you, or your husband, like seriously delicious craft-brew, I highly recommend trying one while you're there (available locally, throughout DC/NOVA/MD restaurants)! May is a great time to visit. While the cherry blossoms are incredible, there's more "green", and blooming, in May, in general, which makes for a very lovely experience, assuming there's not much construction still happening around the Mall, which there always seem to be, these days!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Shameless plug: my family owns a brewery in Alexandria, Port City Brewing, Co.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    The monuments, museums, and the Botanic Garden are all in a fairly small, easily walkable area. The Cathedral and the Zoo are in upper Northwest. You can get to the Zoo via the Metro Red line, and the Cathedral's about a 20 minute walk from there. I love the Cathedral and think everyone should see it, but some of the grounds and some of the chapels are not accessible. There is a parking garage.

Thanks, Monoski, Oddity and Katja. We've ended up at the Crowne Plaza, further west near Thomas Circle. Altho we'd planned to stay nearer Foggy Bottom, this worked out a little better for us. The Brewery sounds good! My husband is the "connoisseur" in our family and would enjoy that!
    Good to know about the Red Line for the Zoo, and distance to Cathedral from there!
    We want to go to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum part at Dulles, and to Arlington. Would it be good to rent a car for those further out sites, or is public trans. really good for everything? Thanks!
    Last edited by Lynne; 03-27-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling

The Air & Space Museum Annex at Dulles is awesome, and very accessible. Getting there using public transportation would be its own adventure, a combo of Metro and a bus (http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udva...directions.cfm). If it were me, I'd rent a car.

By "Arlington", I assume you mean the cemetery, rather than the city. Arlington National Cemetery is a stop on the Blue Line (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Pla...Transportation).

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    The Air & Space Museum Annex at Dulles is awesome, and very accessible. Getting there using public transportation would be its own adventure, a combo of Metro and a bus (http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udva...directions.cfm). If it were me, I'd rent a car.

By "Arlington", I assume you mean the cemetery, rather than the city. Arlington National Cemetery is a stop on the Blue Line (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Pla...Transportation).
    Wow, Katja, this info REALLY helps! Thanks!