Thread: Seat taper / seat width questions

Seat taper / seat width questions

So I'm working on specs for a new chair. I'm looking for some input advice on if I should go smaller than my current 16" seat width. Isn't it most beneficial to have as tight a fit as possible..while remaining comfortable. My taper from this chair is listed as 4" taper footrest. Is taper where the frame curves and bends to fit my legs? Not sure I quite understand.

here is a picture - http://m.imgur.com/v0msTmr

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    So I'm working on specs for a new chair. I'm looking for some input advice on if I should go smaller than my current 16" seat width. Isn't it most beneficial to have as tight a fit as possible..while remaining comfortable. My taper from this chair is listed as 4" taper footrest. Is taper where the frame curves and bends to fit my legs? Not sure I quite understand.

here is a picture - http://m.imgur.com/v0msTmr
    Seat taper and tapered footrest width are 2 different specs. Seat taper used to be referred to as "squeeze" and describes a frame whose seat width is narrower in the front (by the knees) than it is in the rear (by the hips) -- image.

On a TiLite foot rest width tapers describe the front end frame: standard (tapered, like this one) or V-Frame. The illustrations on the order form do a decent job of showing these options.

I believe different manufacturers use different nomenclature, too = more confusion.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

If you like your feet close together on footrests and it will not bother you to have the down tubes pressing lightly against your calves then you will probably like a tapered seat with tapered footrests. Specify to DME/manufacturer what width you are looking for between down tubes at the footrest, be sure this measurement will allow you to wear your widest shoes/boots. My personal experience has been that I can't get the narrow measurement I want between the footrests without tapering the seat 2". If you are thin enough your untapered seat may allow the manufacturer to taper your footrest width to your specs.

Choose a chair first. MOST measurements are not transferable between all chair types. In many cases (Top End) there is some relationship between seat taper and available footrest width, but in others (Tilite) they are entirely separate measurements. Read the form carefully. If it doesn't specify the start and end points for every single dimension, contact the manufacturer's engineering department to find out.