Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Blood Pressure Monitoring at Home

Blog Entries
    As far as blood pressure monitoring goes, I use an Omron wrist cuff. It checked out well against the one my doctor uses. My doctor suggested a dill pickle and a glass of water, but first thing in the morning...yuck!
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

For those of you taking fludrocortisone (Florinef) have you had trouble with excessive feet swelling? By excessive, I mean your feet swell during the day and even with elevation at night, the swelling doesn't go away.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    For those of you taking fludrocortisone (Florinef) have you had trouble with excessive feet swelling? By excessive, I mean your feet swell during the day and even with elevation at night, the swelling doesn't go away.
    Since starting to take Florinef in October, I haven't had any excessive swelling issues. I have had prior issues with that. It seems to come and go at different times that doesn't have an obvious correlative cause. In any case, the Florinef doesn't seem to make it worse and might even be an improvement. But, there is no way to tell, unless I never have the problem again.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Not here yet I have been on it since September with no swelling issues. I do wear Jobst compression socks during the day.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many of my clients with urinary and bowel ostomies wear an abdominal binder which we modify to accommodate their appliance.

I am talking about taking water before you get up in the morning...not at bedtime or during the night.

What amount of compression do you wear in your stockings?
    KLD, I tried a couple of binders about 35 years ago and I remember them rolling up and creating nasty red marks. But I will ask my rehab doc about it. I'm sure you realize I cannot afford to have a binder crawl up off my abdomen and dislodge the ileostomy bag.

I've been saving a little water in my jug (maybe 6-8oz.) to swill just before I get up. Doesn't seem to do anything.

I don't know the exact compression level but I will assume it is in the 20-30 mmHg range. They are tighter than a bull's ass during fly season.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-24-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Try a Dale 3 panel abdominal binder. Easy to cut an opening for your ostomy and appliance in these, and they don't tend to roll up either.

You may need a higher grade compression and/or custom made stockings. Jobst makes good ones, as does Sigvaris.

(KLD)

KLD, How much water should I drink and how soon before I get up? Thanks.

I suggest 8-10 oz. of water, and drink that at least 45-60 minutes before getting out of bed.

(KLD)