Thread: Tilite Owners with Measuring Tape required

Question Tilite Owners with Measuring Tape required

Hi,

I'm currently shopping for my first Tilite wheelchair. Are the long tabs on Tilite's standard aluminium pushrims approx 4cm, it'll be helpful to know when spec'ing the wheel spacing gap, I like about 22" between the pushrims. Also approx how thick is the standard, and the tension adjustable seat upholsteries? The reason I ask is that the seat back upholstery on my 12 year old Quickie GPV is very thin and worn and I want to factor in any upholstery padding when spec'ing the new frame length which is quite important to me. Because of my orthopaedic problems I have to sit with my knees apart and I like the front frame bends to be JUST behind and JUST to the outside my knee bends.

Many thanks

I have two sets of newer Tilite rims, but they changed their wheel design since I got those.
    Are you aware you can and should get a CAD, computer aided drawing of your proposed wheelchair order? I don't understand this digital revision process too well, but going this way seems essential.
    That said, are you getting a new chair because of the upholstery or other reasons. New upholstery, wheels and rims are cheaper than new chairs. The casters can be rebuilt too.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hello,
    Thankyou for the reply and thankyou for the advice regarding getting a CAD drawing.

No I'm not changing chairs because of the worn upholstery on mine. When I first had my mobility problems I was given an Invacare Action 3 by the NHS (The UK's National Health Service), but found it heavy and difficult to propel and manoeuvre. After a few years of living with it I wanted a rigid chair, but I didn't know the first thing about buying an active rigid chair, or anything about wheelchair geometry. Anyhow I took a risk and bought a 10 year old Quickie GPV for ?100 sterling, spent a further ?80 on new tyres, inner tubes, and bearings. It was a lucky buy and although it turned it was a little short and wide for my frame, it's been a great little chair and rattles along at a fair rate. I also reversed the footplate to gain a few more inches. But I've learnt loads by reading online wheelchair geometry and biomechanics articles and trying out what I learnt on the GPV.

Anyhow as my NHS chair is up for renewal I've opted for voucher (?525) instead of a new NHS chair, and I will use the voucher as part funding on the new chair which will hopefully fit me a bit better.

Tabs on pushrims. My chair is 6 years old +/-, and I ordered with the short tabs. Tabs have two holes in them. They appear to be 19 and 29mm from the edge of the rim to the center of mounting hole.

On your statement about wanting the frame bends behind your knee, Tilite added one inch to my frame length for who knows why. This was on purpose and I assume for stability issues/covering their a$$.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Gate View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently shopping for my first Tilite wheelchair. Are the long tabs on Tilite's standard aluminium pushrims approx 4cm, it'll be helpful to know when spec'ing the wheel spacing gap, I like about 22" between the pushrims. Also approx how thick is the standard, and the tension adjustable seat upholsteries? The reason I ask is that the seat back upholstery on my 12 year old Quickie GPV is very thin and worn and I want to factor in any upholstery padding when spec'ing the new frame length which is quite important to me. Because of my orthopaedic problems I have to sit with my knees apart and I like the front frame bends to be JUST behind and JUST to the outside my knee bends.

Many thanks
    -The distance from the outside of the wheel (not the tire) to the inside of the push rim is approximately is .875 inches (2.2 cm). When we measure from the outside of the wheel we add .750 inches which equates to 1.625 inches (4.1 cm).
    -Standard and Tension adjustable upholstery are equal in thickness off setting from the side of the backrest canes approximately .500 inches (1.3 cm).
    -We cannot answer the last bit of query in that we don’t know what you are ordering or type of chair etc. This may turn into a design unlimited question.

It is important when it is stated that you would like 22” between the push rims that it is specified whether this is overall width or at the apex of the wheels in that the camber will create a drastic difference between these two points of measure.
    Hope this helps.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Ah right, so basically for both types of back upholstery there's 1/2" of padding between the velcro and users back?

So for the long tab push rims the measurement is 2.2cm from outside wheel rim to inside of pushrim? And 4.1cm from outside of wheel rim to outside of pushrim?

I understand what you mean re distance between pushrims and camber having a drastic effect.

One further question if that's okay? How much RSH adjustment is there on an Aero T? I'm intending on ordering an Aero T with a 24" rear wheels, 4" front wheels, 70 degree frame angle, and 18.5" FSH and 17" RSH. If after purchase I wanted to drop the rear seat height to 16" to give me a bit more seat dump will there be enough adjustment on the axle vertical struts? I appreciate that I would have to re-orientate the castor forks and correct the toe out on the rear wheels. And also it would change the front frame angle with respect to floor but that's not a problem as the hanger angle (knee flexion) will remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    Tabs on pushrims. My chair is 6 years old +/-, and I ordered with the short tabs. Tabs have two holes in them. They appear to be 19 and 29mm from the edge of the rim to the center of mounting hole.

On your statement about wanting the frame bends behind your knee, Tilite added one inch to my frame length for who knows why. This was on purpose and I assume for stability issues/covering their a$$.
    Many thanks for the pushrim measurements and thanks for the heads up regarding the frame length. According to Ti-Fit tilite automatically allow 1/2" between the end of the seat canvas and the start of the tube bend. Although my Tilite dealer said you can have the tube bend begin at the edge of the seat canvas if you wish???

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Gate View Post
    One further question if that's okay? How much RSH adjustment is there on an Aero T? I'm intending on ordering an Aero T with a 24" rear wheels, 4" front wheels, 70 degree frame angle, and 18.5" FSH and 17" RSH. If after purchase I wanted to drop the rear seat height to 16" to give me a bit more seat dump will there be enough adjustment on the axle vertical struts? I appreciate that I would have to re-orientate the castor forks and correct the toe out on the rear wheels. And also it would change the front frame angle with respect to floor but that's not a problem as the hanger angle (knee flexion) will remain the same.
    There is typically one inch of adjustment on the Aero T. When you place your order be sure to indicate your desire so we can ensure you will be able to achieve it.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Understood thankyou for that.